• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dual Qualified

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
7/9 are the same, except in size. They are both worlds apart (much easier) to fly than the -200. (FADEC, better bleed systems, Leading Edge Devices)

The only real difference during normal ops is a few callouts and placing the thrust levers in the detents(sort of like autothrottles in T/O and Climb modes)

Oh ya, and don't chop the power like you do in the -200. (No trailing link, and you have to actually flare)

Training wise, we just had 2 days of 'class' and then we went to an IPT for an hour or 3. I did my IOE in the -900, all of it. First time I flew the -200 was online, same with the 7.

At CHQ they used to dual qualify us to fly both J-31 and SF-340 aircraft at the same time (reserve guys). Not to bad... but you had to think which airplane you are in.

Now I am qualified on 757-200, 767-300, 300ER and the 767-400 which is completely different (777 screens etc). They all have different motors and about 50 pages of differnces.

Botom line you can fly more than one plane at a time, BUT make sure it is something that will not screw up progression worse than it is right now.

Just my two cents.

I flew both the CRJ-200 and -700 at SkyWest. You figure out the differences and it works okay. It helps if you can bid to fly them often enough that you don't get too rusty on the one you're not flying as much. The pay being the same for the -200 and -700 there sucks but that's a different story. At CAL I fly the 757-200, 757-300, 767-200, and 767-400. The differences with those are huge compared with the CRJ-200/700. But the good thing is the pay is seperate at CAL for the 757 vs. 767.

PC in the 200, PT in the 700 is how it has been going. Hate flying the 200 after being in the 700.

ASApuppy said:
I can certainly see the operational advantages for Delta of being able to run CR7's on the busy days and CR2's on the slack days. With day lines only planned, this would not represent a scheduling nightmare.

My question in response to this question is how will aircraft be cycled through LAX? Will there be a couple of 700s and a couple of 200s readily available out there so a decision can be made between the two on short notice or will it have to involve advanced planning and forethought, something ASA is seemingly incapable of.

I don't have a problem with dual rated pilots as long as the 200 pay is brought up to that of the 700, but I also have never flown the 700 so I can't comment on the challenges of hopping between the two. I'm speaking in theory.

I have flown both and the while there are differences, they are not enough to cause problems switching between the two. Proficiency can suffer and make it difficult if you don't fly one or the other for a long time. Other airlines do it and ASA's standards pilots do with no problems. Besides, it would be nice to be able to fly the 700 from time to time, what a blast. I am NOT for one pay rate for both.
Just curious and I should know the answer to this but for those of you that fly both the 757/767, do you have different pay rates for them?

;)At Continental and AA they do! Delta and UA pay the same for 75/76, but pay more at DAL for 767-400 on up and at UA they pay more for 777/747. Understand that at DAL the 75/76 pay is at 767 pay rates....NOT 757 pay rates! If they want one payrate for the CRJ, pay needs to be at the LARGEST aircraft's payrate! (ie...to fly the 200,700 and 900 we need 900 pay for all three!!!)

What is flawed with the concept of being paid an override for the CR7. You could say it's only 20 more seats, but I think Delta and United probably pay closer to ASM's, so the CR7 would pay more. I'm thinking on the neighborhood of 45% more. 40% in seats alone and 5% because it simply flys faster and covers more ground. If we lock in a concept of "I'll only do it if it's at the 70 rate" only covers us at todays rate. 5 or 10 years down the road we will find ourselves in a corner.

I'm glad to hear not too many people have issues with flying multiple types. So to move this discussion to pay. We have our foot in the door with our two rates. I don't want to see us let that door close. I think it is possible to accomplish both goals. I think management wants flexibility more than a couple of bucks an hour. And we want to maintain that couple of bucks an hour. Sounds like cheap flexibility. I do feel we need to give a little somewhere on the contract so show good faith. I'm thinking this is the most bang we could offer.

CJA said:
I have flown both and the while there are differences, they are not enough to cause problems switching between the two. Proficiency can suffer and make it difficult if you don't fly one or the other for a long time. Other airlines do it and ASA's standards pilots do with no problems. Besides, it would be nice to be able to fly the 700 from time to time, what a blast. I am NOT for one pay rate for both.
Just curious and I should know the answer to this but for those of you that fly both the 757/767, do you have different pay rates for them?

Most of the instructors think that dual qualification is a safety issue. They don't think the line pilots should be dual qualified. They have no choice working for the Gestapo management that runs the show over there. We own this and it should not be dealt away for some show of good faith. If you want to fly the 70 because it is a blast--bid it and fly it all the time. We have too many low time pilots to have them jumping from one to the other just to make our management happy.

Latest resources

Back