Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
S

SpiffAV8

About a week ago a fellow pilot made his daily flight to XXX expecting the routine out and back. However, while the aircraft was being loaded, a driver from XYZ pointed out a box and mentioned to this Capitan that he may want to put it in the back of the airplane due to the strong smell of…..let’s just call it Mary Jane. This pilot being a stand up guy who plays bye the rules politely refuses the package. That’s when things went south. The supervisor for XYZ became very irate and told him that he had to take it. Rather than giving in, he followed company policy and called the airport authority and then dispatch. In the end he didn’t take the package but there was a small delay. Now I know what your thinking, Big deal, right? Wrong! The pilot is now banned from flying the XYZ side of the operation. Why you ask? Apparently, XYZ is pissed that he didn’t allow there internal investigators to handle it. They didn’t want the authorities to know and are now embarrassed. Here’s the kicker. Our company is supporting XYZ in this. The ACP at our base has even made it a point to speak to all the pilots and telling them about how wrong this individual was and how that kind of thing should never happen. The base operations manager is fueling the entire thing but then again he is a puppet for XYZ. Apparently the rule books just don’t matter these days.

Perhaps I am wrong but don’t you think that XYZ should be apologizing for the driver who didn’t have enough sense to take action or for the irate supervisor that insisted he take the package? Shouldn’t the company we work for thank him for doing a good job and for following the rules that they put in there book?

While you didn't provide specifics, I would assume you're talking about a feeder operation for one of the "big four" cargo operators. It sounds to me like your friend is the victim of mangers put in leadership positions without the required backbone, no integrity, and no creativity or tact whatsoever. The good news here is that your friend has got the law on his side.

Here's what to do:

• He should make a copy of whatever portion of the operations manual that contains language to the effect of "we don't tolerate the use, possesion or carriage of illicit substances."
  • Your friend should then photocopy or download the customers policy concerning these objects. (Which probably contains similiar no-tolerance language)
  • Write a synopsis of what occured, when, who said what.
  • Lastly, photocopy that obscure part of the regulations that states something to the effect that the pilot in command is the final authority...etc.
Then your friend should retain an attorney that specializes in employement law. Show him or her the documents mentioned above, then ask them what to do. (Don't be suprised if your friend and their attorney end up contacting law enforcement!)

That's it, plain and simple. Your buddy works for idiots. Hopefully they're smart enough to realize that pursuing action against your friend would put them in an extaordinarily liable position. In SOOO many ways. (Civil litigation, FAA, DEA, to name but a few)

Let us know what happens. Retain an attorney Monday morning, sooner if able!

Last edited:
That's a wierd and sad story. I have bumped freight for smells, leaks, improper markings, inappropriate markings, because of incompatability issues and because the limitation on dry ice was met and the rest of the stupid steaks wouldn't fit in the pods (where there are no limitations on dry ice).

If there was a package ticking...I would bump that as well.

Out of all the things I bumped, there wasn't even so much as a comment.

gkrangers I don't think the company wanted him to smuggle drugs. But they are trying to burn him for embarassing the customer. Lame justfication and very two faced if you ask me. Think about it. The guy is screwed if does and screwed if he doesn't.

LJDRVR Thanks for the advise. I will be sure to pass it along Monday night when I see him. He's a sharp guy and I am sure he's already thinking along those lines.

FN FAL I too have bumped all kinds of stuff, including 400lbs of flowers that I am alergic to. Here's the real kicker. About a year ago the same company (XYZ) had a few of there drivers do the same kind of thing. Turned out that after ATF had inspected the freight at the local facility the drivers made one more pic up on the way to the airport. The pilot that found that box was commended for doing such a good job by our same operations manager.

Yes I have refraned from being specific with who we are and who it came from. Reason is that there are those at work who know my nick name on here and I am not sure if that may have leaked to others. I sure as heck don't want any recourse for posting this. Just a little c.y.a.

Last edited:
It sure seems like the captain got railroaded, hopefully he has union representation or else he is probably fukced. The captain has the final say on what goes on the aircraft and what stays behind, bottom line whether you like it or not. As long as he followed proper procedures and company policy then this should not be a big deal. Can you elaborate on the company? I would assume with a wild guess that this is Ameriflight or Flight Express? I may be wrong though since after a few glasses of good FRENCH wine the thought process starts to slow down a bit.:D

Keep us posted on what transpires...

3 5 0

350DRIVER

No, sorry I will not give names. Please don't get the idea that my company is full of wrong doings. No company is perfect. The customer is just that and deserves to be treated with respect regardless. I would never burn a company for the wrong doings of a few individuals. That just isn't fair.

I did get some news about what's going on. It appears that individuals with in my company are fueling this and that upper management was unaware of what was taken place. It sounds like more of a personal vendetta kind of thing now. We do have some good people who will set things right.

If you have ever read any of my other posts you will know that I regularly support my employer. My posting is only to bring up dissuasion on the topic and to get a bit of feed back. Just don't go getting the ideas.

I’ll let you know what happens.

surprise, surprise

they only stand behind us if it's in their best interest

SpiffAV8 said:
No, sorry I will not give names. Please don't get the idea that my company is full of wrong doings. No company is perfect. The customer is just that and deserves to be treated with respect regardless. I would never burn a company for the wrong doings of a few individuals. That just isn't fair.
I know which company you work for....and I bet I know which base you are at. I used to deal with the same people 5 years ago. I hope the base manager has developed a backbone since then, but I doubt it. If they give him any $hit over the issue, tell him to get an attorney. Then sue the company for his attorney costs.

At least back when I was doing it, there were a couple of stand up guys in upper management....unfortunately, that's not what I hear these days.

Latest resources

Back