DO328J vs BAE41

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
>>Where the TV's black or did they have the "big red X"?<<

My understanding is that the DU's didn't all go at once. A couple of them would go black, come back, a few others would go, come back etc. I don't know if they had red X's or not. They also had smoke in the cockpit just to keep things a little more interesting. The crew did a great job getting the thing down IMO.

-BR

Well, stand corrected twice:

Doubt=Dought

Sorry 328, but pilots cannot spell or puncuate. I know, I'm one of them!!!!!!!!

Why isn't there a spell checker on this site like AOL has for emails?

Honestly, I don't know what some people are trying to say!

Hi!

My best airline freind knows guys at Skyway, and he said the same thing happened there. It was a night (luckily VMC) flight out of MKE, and they lost EVERYTHING. No attitude, no nav, no radios.

He explained it to me this way: the black boxes in the back that power that stuff are near each other. One came loose, and knocked into the other two, taking out all three power supplies, or whatever.

The whole cockpit went completely dark. The returned to MKE lost comm and landed without a problem.

Cliff
GRB

Hello,
Just a quick question...Does this airplane have a mechanical or a digital back-up horizon? Just kind a curious if in the case of the Skyway bird, if they lost the back-up ADI? I was under the impression that this instrument is powered by an independent power source (It's own DC battery) that will provide 30 minutes of reliable information.
In the Navy we always briefed a total electrical failure on every flight, and the aircrewman (Moi) would get in the gunner's belt and shine my "el cheapo" plastic flashlight on the HAC's ADI, which may or may not be spinning down due to an interruption in power. This was in the older, all analog H-2. Conversly, in the H-60, this scenario was less likely due to the redundancy built into the aircraft, with the exception of the DDU all components are independent.
In retrospect, it is amazing how many failures or scenarios are called "impossible" by the engineers, yet still manage to find a way...Recall the Eastern L-1011 that had all three engines nearly run out of oil because of a .10 cent O-ring not being replaced on the accesory section drive chip detector... HAd a bit of the same happen to me in an H-60 with not nearly as uneventful an ending...In the words of Ernest K. Gann "Fate is the Hunter"

Regards and remember...When you least expect it, expect it

ex-Navy rotorhead

Kaman:

I think I understand what your asking. If you lose just one screen, you have your reversionary panel to switch things around. If you lose total power, you have your backup attitude indicator which I believe is powered off the essential bus. If you do have a total DC failure, you still have your TRU (transformer rectifyer Unit) to power the essential bus only from the Alternators. Even though you lose your DC power, you still have your engines running to provide AC power and the TRU turns it into DC to power the essential bus. That system has a 80 minute max limit if you pull all the circuit breakers that the QRH calls for.

If these guys did lose all the screens, im sure they got them back up fairly quickly using the TRU. These airplanes do have alot of electrical gremlins. Im sure the jet is the same way. I also agree with you about the engineers saying nothing is impossible.

If its mechanical or electrical, it will break sooner or later.

Im not sure if thats what you wanted to know.

Latest resources

Back