• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Pilot Contract Comparison link

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
12 year SW FO is $151. 12 year A330 CA at usapa is 159. Bwwaaaaaaahahahahahaha!!!! Freakin' dumb asses!

For the flying they do, Delta's current pay rates are pathetic. Certainly not industry leading like a few years back (pre-bankruptcy). Why does a Delta 777 Captain earn less than a Southwest 737 Captain flying only domestic flying? Shouldn't Delta 737 pilots earn what Southwest 737 pilots earn? So, AirTran 737 pilots who keep the left seat will make more than current Delta 777 pilots in the near future after the merger is complete? Really? Good for the AirTran pilots, but the Delta guys clearly deserve much better - especially after their pensions were gutted (not the former NWA guys). Delta is in a far better finanicial position now vs. the bankruptcy days and the new contract better reflect that reality.

Southwest pilots do have an advantage in their negotiating in that the scope of flying is never in question - Southwest will not outsource any flying to regionals. So, there are fewer bargaining chips on the table and the pilots can focus more on pay. Scope is a big bargaining chip for Delta and the legacies and can be used again to offset pay increases for job security - that SUCKS and management knows it. Let's hope Lee Moak stays far away from any future Delta contract negotiations - MOAK CHOKED last time around...

That's pretty shocking to me. I agree the Air Tran pilots deserve it with the merger. I still remember when Delta was "the" airline to work for back in the mid-to-latter 90s. I applied and was never called. That said, I suppose if I was a Delta pilot today I would be pi$$ed if my 737 pilots were not earning at least SWA 737-level wages. I'd argue that Delta 737 pilots fly more international flying (i.e., South America) in addition to domestic short hops and should get paid at least the same (if not more). No question SWA would be my minimum benchmark for all negotiations going forward.

Good luck to the Delta pilots this time around (especially without the threat of bankruptcy from management)! Many of you guys gave up your pensions during a tough economic period and now you deserve to improve other aspects of your compensation after things have improved.

We were talking pensions, not anything else. You can use whatever numbers you want but I promise you the note did not come anywhere near close to make Delta guys whole. The Dc % is a whole different animal but you're right....time to row together.

I completely understand that you were not made whole. I'm just trying to get across the point that the NWA guys, for the most part, are in the same boat. It's a pet peeve of mine as a former north guy flying in a pre-merger south base. I hear all the time from guys that think I have some huge pension still and it just isn't even remotely true.

I completely understand that you were not made whole. I'm just trying to get across the point that the NWA guys, for the most part, are in the same boat. It's a pet peeve of mine as a former north guy flying in a pre-merger south base. I hear all the time from guys that think I have some huge pension still and it just isn't even remotely true.

I am a South guy and I tell everyone what you posted. There were about 300 with full pensions, about 1000 with a decent one, and most with 600 bucks a month when it was frozen. In fact the targeting matrix on the DC leaves those on the bottom with even less. Of course that was the NWA MEC's choice in the merger, but it does not make it right.

The problem I see here is that on an hourly rate basis, DAL almost leads the pack on almost every airframe larger than 737 and smaller. I wouldn't be surprised if narrowbody comes up, but where is the leverage for widebody pay??? I know the answer. It is is the GUARANTEE! Stop using hourly rates alone! A DAL guy is only getting 65 hrs a month at those rates. You need to show rates based on productivity. Even monthly rates don't show the whole picture. Best of luck to everyone in their negotiations.

Stop using hourly rates alone! A DAL guy is only getting 65 hrs a month at those rates. You need to show rates based on productivity. Even monthly rates don't show the whole picture. Best of luck to everyone in their negotiations.
Exactly. Latest MIT data shows a DAL pilot costs $350 per block hour flown, AA $375, CAL $310. Pay and benefits. It's not just the W2.

Bases on hours flown, DAL works an astounding 20% less than the most "productive" group (CAL). Think five extra weeks off per year on average.

Workrules, workrules.

Last edited:
Exactly. Latest MIT data shows a DAL pilot costs $350 per block hour flown, AA $375, CAL $310. Pay and benefits. It's not just the W2.

Bases on hours flown, DAL works an astounding 20% less than the most "productive" group (CAL). Think five extra weeks off per year on average.

Workrules, workrules.
"Based" on hours flown. Also, to be clear, DAL is flying 20% less for an approximately equal pay and benefits package.

For the flying they do, Delta's current pay rates are pathetic. Certainly not industry leading like a few years back (pre-bankruptcy). Why does a Delta 777 Captain earn less than a Southwest 737 Captain flying only domestic flying? Shouldn't Delta 737 pilots earn what Southwest 737 pilots earn? So, AirTran 737 pilots who keep the left seat will make more than current Delta 777 pilots in the near future after the merger is complete? Really? Good for the AirTran pilots, but the Delta guys clearly deserve much better - especially after their pensions were gutted (not the former NWA guys). Delta is in a far better finanicial position now vs. the bankruptcy days and the new contract better reflect that reality.

Southwest pilots do have an advantage in their negotiating in that the scope of flying is never in question - Southwest will not outsource any flying to regionals. So, there are fewer bargaining chips on the table and the pilots can focus more on pay. Scope is a big bargaining chip for Delta and the legacies and can be used again to offset pay increases for job security - that SUCKS and management knows it. Let's hope Lee Moak stays far away from any future Delta contract negotiations - MOAK CHOKED last time around...

HELLO. Did you sleep through the bankruptcy?

Ten years ago, Delta pilots made $100 more per hour than SW pilots,
and they had a real retirement plan.

Latest resources

Back