• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Pilot Contract Comparison link

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Exactly. Latest MIT data shows a DAL pilot costs $350 per block hour flown, AA $375, CAL $310. Pay and benefits. It's not just the W2.

Bases on hours flown, DAL works an astounding 20% less than the most "productive" group (CAL). Think five extra weeks off per year on average.

Workrules, workrules.

When you use the word "cost," does that include the cost of training a pilot? I know it's a small skewed sample, but I know a few junior DAL pilots who have spent more of the past few years in training than actually flying the line.

I don't think you can use a blanket statement like, "think five extra weeks off per year on average." DAL has much better rigs than CAL. Those costs are block hour costs. I'm willing to bet that DAL pilots earn much more soft time than their CAL counterparts. Unless you are considering layover time earning rig or deadheading as part of your five extra weeks off.

For the flying they do, Delta's current pay rates are pathetic. Certainly not industry leading like a few years back (pre-bankruptcy). Why does a Delta 777 Captain earn less than a Southwest 737 Captain flying only domestic flying?

The contract that paid Delta industry leading came after record profits. They fell behind Southwest during bankruptcy, and now Southwest is more profitable than Delta. It looks to me like profitable airlines pay more than ones that are less profitable.

When you use the word "cost," does that include the cost of training a pilot? I know it's a small skewed sample, but I know a few junior DAL pilots who have spent more of the past few years in training than actually flying the line.

I don't think you can use a blanket statement like, "think five extra weeks off per year on average." DAL has much better rigs than CAL. Those costs are block hour costs. I'm willing to bet that DAL pilots earn much more soft time than their CAL counterparts. Unless you are considering layover time earning rig or deadheading as part of your five extra weeks off.
That's a bet you would win. Most pay at CAL is strictly butt in the seat, and then some. All training is done on personal days off for example. That's why DAL pilots fly 10 hard hours less per month for the same pay.

Five weeks? Perhaps too high. The ten hour difference is about two days of work per month, 24 days per year. Still, as Adam Sandler said, not.too.shabby.

Does anyone really think that the PBGC will really be around in a few years? It is 80 billion dollars under-water and counting

...I could see something come out like-- These over-privelaged high income citizens should not be allowed to collect both Pensions and Social Security and then subsequently they will bill be forced to pick their poison between two insolvent programs that are both likely to fail. Frankly I will take the DC fund and self-direct it from here, I hope there is something left for the Pilots at Delta in the future pension payments, but I would not bet on it.

Delta and all other parties that paid into the PBGC should work on trying to get a one time payment to those that have future entitlements so they would have at least something...maybe like $50,000? Sounds like a slap in the face, but I am guessing even that amount is unattainable.

JP

Latest resources

Back