• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta and college GPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All that being said, I did find getting a Masters in Business very useful in understanding money, investing and budgeting. Good things to know when planing for retirement.

Really? Then why haven't you retired?

I guess you could say going to college ruined my career. don't ya think?

Nope, timing is everything and you didn't have a crystal ball.

As for me, I just happened to be taking a ME class, 75% of the Navy pilot test was what I had just studied (gears, pulleys, slopes, friction ...) so going to college is what got me into aviation.

I really hate to agree with Wave :), but the HS only graduate great aviators are out there, but they are the exceptions.

Going to college never hurt anyone, and there is an idiot on here who thinks getting a masters is a bad thing, but hey, life goes on.

Last edited:
I had a 3.0, did it in 3 1/2 years while flying freight and working two other jobs. I am glad DAL wasn't hiring when I was looking. Such superficial BS. I fly with guys that are lawyers, doctors or have maters in Engineering. Some of them cant fly worth a crap, have zero SA and no personal skills. Then there's the few who never went to college, great pilots and a blast to be with. Just another way for DAL and any other airline to miss out on great candidates. Same with SWA idiotic type requirement. We miss a lot of great pilots because of that.

Hear hear

My Dad gave me a very good piece of advice many years ago:

" Son, what do you think the importance of attending college and getting a degree is? "

" Uh...to learn?"

" Besides that."

" Uh...I dunno'."

" Learning is part of it, meeting people from different backgrounds and gaining different perspectives is part of it....But, most importantly it's so you never lose out on a job opportunity because the other guy can check a box that you can't. "

Thanks, Dad.

YKW

Last edited:
Just stop arguing or trying to get YIP to think like the other 99% of the pilot profession.. It'll be like a dog chasing it's tail... Round and round and round til you forget why the heck you started the debate in the first place. He has some generic canned response for every scenario. And most of them he has used for the last decade or so on here.

99%...have you conducted a study? Try a new number, grabbing numbers out of the air is a classic liberal democrat strategy ---a la Bill Maher---when they are losing a debate (no insult intended--I'm not accusing you of being a liberal democrat).
There are times I disagree with Yip, but when he's got a point, he's got a point. And I have to say that I'd take trade school graduates for work over the average college grad any day. Someone specifically trained in their work is:
a) going to be better at it and
b) shows they have passion for it, unlike the Key Bank suckers with their "I think I'll try that pilot job because it looks cool" mentality that has led so many spoiled brats to enter the pilot ranks over the years.
BUT! Don't confuse trade schools with the pilot ticket factories that have popped up all over.

Like it or not, the world does not owe all of you a living because you went to college. It's just another feather in your hat. I'll take a hard worker who loves their work over a pseudo-intellectual who has been educated beyond their intelligence. I have my 2 degrees, big deal. I'll take someone with enlisted military background over a silver-spooned college grad any day. The military gives you more useful life skills that apply to ANY job in life, than some pompous ass professor in his ivory tower. Honestly, here's everything that college tried to teach me:
a) Everyone's culture should be celebrated and embraced...except the American culture. Assimilation is bad and shoving your culture and language on others is good.
b) If anyone ever failed at anything, it is somehow the fault of a white male who worked his way up to something.
c) If you believe in God, you are an extremist, and you are stupid. But theories that have no more proof than your own faith are taken seriously.
d) There is ONE acceptable religion, and that is atheism.
e) Gay is natural but gender is not.
f) Marital fidelity is why America's society has destabilized.
g) The military is for suckers (but "support our troops" is a catchy slogan so let's fake it).
h) The world hates us because we are bad. If we just hug them, they'll be nice. (BTW...that worked like a charm in keeping WWI and WWII from happening, didn't it?).
i) For an institution of broadening thought, college professors sure do not like students to attempt to broaden their thought by exploring disagreements. Take the professors' spew as gospel, and you'll be fine.

So all in all, the only people who get anything out of college are the ones who realize that they are not in fact better prepared than anyone else. The grads who think they are such fountains of ability and knowledge because they went to school...we had a term for them in the military, we called those Second Lieutenants.

Last edited:
Like it or not, the world does not owe all of you a living because you went to college.

The world doesn't owe anyone a living, regardless of educational background or lack thereof.

The world doesn't owe anyone a living, regardless of educational background or lack thereof.

Amen. I think if they still taught the story of the ant and the grasshopper in kindergarten, instead of how to get in touch with your feelings, there'd be a better work ethic.

Well those looking to get hired at Delta without a degree.... best of luck..

The non college advocates are arguing the wrong point.... Is it necessary to have a college degree to be a good pilot? Of course not....

Are your chances of getting hired at a reputable legacy carrier with a degree better.. Of course..

What guys like YIP are failing to recognize..... HR departments set the hiring standards.. Not a guy working at JUS in MI....

Don't like the playing field, go find another game....

Yes 99% is a legitimate number from a scientific poll I conducted using ALL FAA commercial pilots licenses from their website.. Just for this thread.. Because that wouldn't be a colossal waste of time.

Maybe you've been flying too long to know what's the rest of the working world goes through...

He's a short breakdown of just a few members of my family..

Grandfather.. No college.... Factory worker

Grandmother.. No college... Worked at Sibleys, now part of Macy's

Mother... No college...bartender... Went to two year school at the age of 54..
Became LPN

Father... No college... Alcoholic/ drug addict bum dead at the age of 45

Step father... No college... Construction worker

Aunt... No college, odd jobs... After college in late 30's... Executive assistant at a prestigious university

Cousin #1... College, construction management

Cousin #2... College, register nurse

Half sister.... No college, cleans out dog kennels for barely above minimum wage
Her boyfriend, no college... Barely holds jobs as a tire changer

Myself.. Paid my way through college at ERAU ( and 2 other schools) while working full time at restaurants, night clubs etc... 767 FO and small business owner.. ( the guys I hire at just above minimum wage... No college)

Keep telling yourselves that college isn't a major avenue towards a better QOL.

It may not be the only way, but your chances are far greater with college.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back