• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Degree and the majors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I understand that...all a degree shows is that you can finish something you started. The best pilot I have flown with had a G.E.D. And that was the highest level of education anyone had in his family.

Chuck Yeager never had a degree. If his name didn't throw around weight like it does now, would he get hired? Probably not, even though I'm sure he's a pretty good pilot. Yip is right. It's a magic box that in today's day and age needs checked to ensure you're giving yourself the best possible chance of being hired. There are a few that slip through the cracks without it but it's far and few in between. I can symphethize with the people that don't have a degree because it took me 9 years to finally get it done. It's painful to face up to the facts, but the sooner you quit fighting it and get one, the sooner you can put it behind you.

Congrats you did it the right way, no debt, building flight time while doing your degree. You check the magic box, but it has nothing to do with flying an airplane.

It isn't a magic box. College, when done right, makes you an educated person. Too many people in this country think college is about getting a job. College is about becoming a well-rounded, educated person. The rest will follow.

Whether an online college can achieve the goal of actually educating someone...well, that's another question.

Has anyone actually suggested that it does have something to do with flying an airplane?

SWA still does not require a degree. Preferred but not required. I know a few people there that do NOT have a degree and they were hired in the last boom

SWA still does not require a degree. Preferred but not required. I know a few people there that do NOT have a degree and they were hired in the last boom

Someone I know said 98% have a degree... That's a small percentage to be playing with if you don't have one. Most likely sons and daughters of VERY senior company pilots.

I know a girl who did the University of Phoenix online MBA. That chick worked her tail off. That was no sheepskin.

Someone I know said 98% have a degree... That's a small percentage to be playing with if you don't have one. Most likely sons and daughters of VERY senior company pilots.
not true, experienced freight dawgs get hired at SWA without a degree

not true, experienced freight dawgs get hired at SWA without a degree

Yeah, I know two females that flew freight and went directly to SWA.

BTW They also both logged PIC time concurrently. SWA either didn't catch it or care.

Latest resources

Back