• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Decision time...ACA or ASA...Help!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In an industry where most of your big career decisions are based on rumors and luck, go with your gut feeling. At some point, either decision you make will be and or seem to be the wrong one. Get it?

Tailwinds...;)

PilotMonkey,

I think it wouldn’t be a bad decision to abandon the “time you put in” at Eagle to go to another regional. Jetexas has some insight for you on that.

I was offered classes by ASA and ACA and I chose ACA for the following reasons:

-I live 30 min from IAD
-My ARNG unit is a 2 hour drive
-Class started 3 months earlier (most important factor for me)
-CRJ 200 class (nothing against props but I already have 1000 pic turbo prop)
-Could live at home during training
-Reserve is short at ACA presently

I may have gotten a jet at ASA but I felt I would probably get a prop. That was a minor consideration though. I weighed all the factors and made my choice.

ASA training is easier on your wallet. ACA only pays $200 a week during training and doesn’t provide a hotel.

They are both great companies and I was pleased to be able to choose from them.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Definitely go with your gut. Don't believe the rumors. Most, if not all, of the good rumors about Eagle turned out to be sorely off target.
Try to get a copy of ASA's and ACA's contract somehow and see what they have. Read it cover to cover!! I sure wish I had done that about Eagle before I came here!

Whatever you do...DONT GO TO EAGLE!!!!

I can't stress that enough. Even before 9-11 I was telling people that.

I was there for 14 months and made that terrible lateral move to ASA. Well, I am 150 numbers from 70-seat captain, and I have been a Brasilia captain since 8-01.

DO NOT GO TO THE EGL!!!

ACA vs. ASA.......pick the one that has the domicile where you want to live. I think they are equally good.

I cant say much about ACA, but we are hiring strong here at ASA..

Good luck...

SFR, not saberliner...

Anybody know how long reserve is at DFW for ASA? Are you still giving up routes at DFW to Skywest? thx

ASA did not 'give up routes' to Skywest. ASA did not have the airplanes to fly the routes that mainline wanted covered. That being said...we are also being told that as more -70's come on line, that will free up -50's for expansion in DFW. Primarily North and West AND to take advantage of AMR Scope at Eagle. Word from the 8th floor is that 13 more -70's by Feb 2003.

Last month - 20 CRJ Captain Slots
20 E-120 Captain slots
New Hires in the CRJ 50 and 70!

I can think of much worse places to be..... Good Luck with either ACA or ASA.

TAH
:p

DoinTime said:
Tell that to Mesaba guys. They aren't only being whipsawed against Pinnacle they are being whipsawed against their own company.

What happened at Mesaba can't happen at ACA. If our company buys another airline (or starts another, say ACJet), the pilots are put on our seniority list. ACAI can't own a plane and fly it without it be flown with ACA pilots.

All boils down to wholly owned or not wholly owned !!!

Do you really think Delta is going to grow ACA at the expense of ASA ???????

Other then that, go with your gut feeling.

rjcap said:
All boils down to wholly owned or not wholly owned !!!

Do you really think Delta is going to grow ACA at the expense of ASA ???????

Other then that, go with your gut feeling.

You really believe that? Man you need to wake up and smell the scope. That would be like saying "Do you really think Delta is going to grow ASA/Comair at the expense of Delta??????" (I am referring to when they were not wholly-owned). Or how about, "Do you really think Delta is going to grow by codesharing internationally at the expense of Delta?????" Hell yeah they will!

If they can make more money by doing so, you're daym right they will. DAL only purpose in life is to make money for its shareholders. They will go whichever way can make them the most money.

If ASA, Comair, Skywest, ACA, and CHQ all did the same job at the same performance, but ACA and CHQ saved them 10-15% on cost, I can guaruntee they will be doing some expanding.

I obviously pulled those #s out of my a$$ and this doesn't take into consideration the actual performance of the airline (I don't think ACA is doing as well as Skywest ;) ), but you get the idea.

If you want to protect your jobs I would make it your number one priority to scope out any non-DAL owned flying, dump or buy skywest, ACA, CHQ, and any international flying.

How hard could that be? :)

Forget about the Eagle...I am leaving Eagle after 3 years to go to Air Wisconsin and commute. I think that says alot.

The Capt.

Latest resources

Back