Decision time...ACA or ASA...Help!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PilotMonkey

Well, I have found myself in a precarious situation.

1st...I am in the pilot pool at ACA and expect a class date in the first half of January.

2nd...I have an interview scheduled with ASA on October 16th, if hired, I was told to expect a class date in the latter half of November.

3rd...I was furloughed from American Eagle in October of 2001, I was just informed that I am eight numbers away from recall and could expect a recall letter in about two weeks.

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM??????????????????????????????????????????.....................................

I have to say it’s nice to have choices. Where do you live? That may have some influence on your decision.

Do one of those companies give you the opportunity to live where you are based?

You've got some time before you need to make a decision. Go to the interview and see if ASA offers, then go from there.

As far as Eagle, all reports are that all recalls are going to SJU. There also seem to be persistent rumors that a sale of Executive is in the offing. So, if you get recalled, you're likely to be in SJU for quite some time. Is this for you? If not, I'd cross off option three. If so, keep Eagle in the pile.

I'll second the previous comment ... can you live in domicile with one of these companies? Consider those QOL-type issues in making the decision.

Good luck ...

R

I am not going to lie, I don't feel bad for you. Just kidding, you have a problem that 90% of the people in here wish they had. Congrats and good luck.

I am currently living in Dallas, so if I was able to be based here with ASA it would be the least expensive, that would be good! But I am not overly concerned with that, I am willing to move to any base in which I am assigned, with either airline. No wife or kids affords me this option. I know that going back to eagle is my least likely choice. I am basically trying to decide between ASA and ACA. What I would like to avoid is choosing a company to go with and then watching the other company flourish while I sit stagnant. I am in the process of gathering as much info as possible on both companies, I believe the best source of info will come from the people who work for or have experience with these companies. I have done a search on this sight and any additional insights on which company is better and why would be extremely helpful. Thanks!

ACA is not a "wholly owned", so you'll be less susceptible to a 'whipsaw'.
I have friends at both ACA and ASA and they have nothing but good things to say about either. My friend made CRJ captain at ACA in just over 3 years. He was a student pilot while I was a CFII. Good for him, Ouch for me for coming to Eagle. I'm looking at 4 years here now and, unless I want to go to the rock for eons, I'll remain an FO for several more years.
Flip a coin. IN my opinion ACA and ASA are both good places to be. ACA might stand to grow more than ASA over time if Delta puts the sqeeze on ASA's flying. Who knows!
Good luck! I might see you at one of those companies soon!

ACA is not a "wholly owned", so you'll be less susceptible to a 'whipsaw'.

Tell that to Mesaba guys. They aren't only being whipsawed against Pinnacle they are being whipsawed against their own company.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back