• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

becket

A commutter Capt. friend of mine sent me this. Funny

Dear Senator,

I am writing to you today on behalf of the Youth Impaired Airline Pilots Association. We have been airline pilots for many years, and although, the mandatory retirement age has been 60 since we've begun our careers, now that we are approaching that age we feel it should be extended. Having been wide body captains during the hey day of aviation, we have made a good living, but due to our economic situations, that is not good enough. I personally, am on my fourth marriage, and due to the fact that my wife is significantly younger than I am, have a two year old at the age of 58. So you can see my need to keep flying until, ideally, my youngest reaches college.

Our organization is aware that the major concern for age 60 staying in place is safety. Perhaps some feel that the ICAO rules, where one crew member must be below 60 is admitting there is a problem.

There are may things that can be done to reduce these issues. During training, a new procedure could be established for incapacitated pilots. There is a lever on the side of the seat, which locks the shoulder harness in place, the non incapacitated pilot would simply fly the airplane while locking the pilot's shoulder harness, so that the body would not slump onto the controls. This would not be an issue in the Airbus aircraft.

The pilot under the age of 60, due to his ability to see at night, would always taxi. Whether he is in the right or left seat, to prevent the airplane from turning into the dirt.

The fact that our headsets have an audio level of deafening, the loss of hearing is not an issue.

I am sure there are pilots who disagree. Perhaps the ones who have been furloughed since Sept. 11, as well as, commuter pilots hoping to one day fly for a major airline, so they can support their families, but our organization strongly feels that if we put Economics Above Safety Everyone Wins.

A special thank you to Senator Stevens for burying S65 in HR5576 and making the American public's safety a back burner issue.

Sincerely,

Youth Impaired Airline Pilots Association

Nice letter I am sure whoever you copied that from is a smart guy. I am sure Ted doesn't care though if he is on his 4th or 5th Bud. I flew him and I know he likes old pilots.

Ok then, how about a bridge?

To where?

Um...well...nowhere in particular. My state needs more federal money for stupid projects. That's all.

I hate all pork. It doesn't matter what party, they all do it! They don't really care what you or I think, they only think what is good for themselves. That is why term limits are so important to the future of this country.

And make sure to thank him for nearly totally killing Part 135 in AK!!

Further, kudos to good old Ted for giving us cabotage at Anchorage.

Someone needs to ask Ted if it would be o.k. for the military pilots that fly him around to be 65 years old.

PIPE

I hate all pork. It doesn't matter what party, they all do it! They don't really care what you or I think, they only think what is good for themselves. That is why term limits are so important to the future of this country.

Amen to that....I've always said....show me a congressional candidate that campaigns on a promise not to bring one dollar of federal money to his district....I'll show you a guy who will lose.

Tejas

Hey pipe sorry to disappoint you but the age limit in the military is about 58 not 60 so he doesn't have to worry about 65. I am sure though he wouldn't mind since the guys flying in the 89th are hand picked and the best pilots you can find outside of UAUA, LCC, AMR, ALK, DALRQ, FRNT, MEH, CAL, LUV, AAI & JBLU.

Latest resources

Back