• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DAL New Hire Demographic

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DAL is hiring pilots from all sorts of backgrounds. There are competitive mins that get you to the interview, but after that it is about the person you are not the pilot you think you are.

What might competitive mins be? I'm 5000 TT, a mix of turbine/jet PIC, all kinds of 135 cargo & jet charter, no 121, etc... but, I'm a white male who has brown hair & eyes... 5'9" yes, I'm not a strapping six-footer of 180lbs.

Their hiring practices are tired and true and they do hire a baseline candidate that DAL feels will perform well over the years for them. Wonder what that is, go look at your buddies that fly here.

I am lacking an "internal recommendation" although I have friends who have retired... Is there any process for LOR's from retired guys? Does it have any pull?

Most are honest, hardworking, jovial, fun to be around, suspect to outsiders, and the like :D They really just want people who will show up to work, not be a drag and do the next right thing will maintaining a safe operation.

I would say that I probably meet the above standard.

Guys, thanks for all the feedback on this. Most of it has been helpful.

Regards,

They use a point system now:

+1 Woman
+1 Minority
+1 Huge Rack
+1 Pretty looks
+1 Internal recommendation

-5 White Male
-5 8000TT+
-5 No internal connections

Things may change in the future, but right now, it's slim pickings, and you have to have some serious connections to get hired at Delta today. Everyone I know hired (or even interviewed) this year had several internal (important) recommendations. No one I know or have heard of got a call this year without an internal rec.

Serious connections? This isn't true. Of course internal recommends help, and with a 12,000 person seniority list, who doesn't know a Delta pilot who will send in a rec? But you can still get a call if your application stands out.

They like people from good 4 year universities with solid majors, great GPAs and extra curricular activities. In my new hire class this year there were two RJ FO's who both only had one basic rec letter, and each from a newly hired pilot. They were both white guys with practically ZERO PIC. They also happened to be REALLY good dudes.

In addition, a buddy of mine got the interview before me, with NO internal rec on file, and I had 8. His resume was just better looking. Better school, better major, probably better GPA.

If you're not getting a call it's not because you're white, it's because your application isn't as good as the others, at least according to what Delta looks at. And number one (or probably two or three) on their list ISN'T how many hours you've logged.

Low time white guys out there, I'm telling you, when they hire next year, you have as good a shot as anybody else, IF your application can stand out of the pack in some way. JUST like anybody else has to regardless of their color or gender.

I was hired at Delta in the 07/08 group. My total time was around 6k+. My Captain time was around 3K+. White guy who went to Riddle. I had one speeding ticket (10 years ago). I was not a check airman, chief pilot, etc... just a regular line pilot. I had a rec from an active Delta pilot, 2 retired Delta pilots and two chief pilots at ASA. I went to all the job fairs (I think they were the key).

In my new hire class we had a mix of pilots. Most were regional pilots but we had pure military and one corporate. We had two guys from Mesaba who only flew the SAAB. We also had guys with 0 Captain time.

Delta is looking for certain type of pilot. They are looking for people who have a great attitude, who are motivated to do a great job, and have great customer service skills.

I only wish they would let people who screwed up the interview have another chance.

PM me if you have any questions...

They WILL hire next year. Delta just has to figure out how many. Good luck to all.

"I only wish they would let people who screwed up the interview have another chance."

A lot of us wish that. Especially those of us who didn't screw it up but weren't hired anyway. I know of no other airline that has that ridiculous policy, unfortunately there is no other airline I want to work for but Delta.

I only wish they would let people who screwed up the interview have another chance.

You and me both. If you fail the testing, I understand. However what if you're having a bad day or worse, the interview team is having a bad day. Why torpedo someone's dream on "tradition"? Times change.

Even when the "hiring boom" (relative term) comes, it'll STILL be a hyper competitive market. So.......

Even better if you can get IP/Standards eval qualified

Even better if you become a check airman/LCA/sim instructor

Take on a Chief pilot job, or instructor/LCA if 135.

Since grammar was the theme is this thread, I hope they get some rest soon.

In all seriousness, how much of the current pilot demographic at DAL has been through the current process? Subtract out the Western and former NWA pilots.
That is what you get for typing with no sleep on the other side of the world.

I would say that based on other pilots that have gotten hired you are competitive.

I would tell the retirees to write the letters. They will just have to verify their employment they put on their LOR's. I am not sure retired pilots can get email accounts.

ASA is correct. They will hire and it could be anywhere from 300ish total with flows to 800 or better. I would suspect that the direction they will be taking will be known soon!

Didn't most of the pilots from Mesaba that actually flowed up start at Mesaba well before the last hiring boom and well before Mesaba had a flow?

The most junior pilot that is eligible to flow was hired in 1999. Everyone else who was hired after his seniority number was cut off when Delta sold us to 9E.

The flow ups might not come as fast as those guys think anyway. I understand Delta is considering blocks of new hire classes of 100+ at a time. That way they can fill out most of the classes with people of their choice.

Latest resources

Back