Corporate policy...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

seahorse3

Just looking for some information: Does anyone work for a corporate flight department that has in its FOPM a statement regarding a mandatory retirement age? If so, what age is it and what sort of justification was used to come up with that age?

Thanks for any insight.....

I know Chevron had one along the gulf coast with both fixed and rotor wing. Most olld-timers never minded the age limit due to the great retirement.

At Wachovia, we didnt have one. I interviewed at a large chemical company in Delaware last year, they sponsor a rainbow colored car in Nascar and their driver's name rhymes with Heff Jordan. Theirs is 60. Dont know how they came up with that. I know another company that has 65.

Dupont followed the 121 requirements at the time... After a high profile accident in Jakarta, they had a massive overhaul of the flight department procedures. Actually very pro-active given it was reactive to an accident.

LB

Corporate Flight Department Manditory Retirement Age

I don't work there, but have learned first hand that Northrop Grumman has instituted an age 65 policy. They went from no policy to age 65 tossing a couple of their best guys out on the street.

TransMach

I used to fly for Goodyear and in the 80's they changed their retirement age (mandatory) to 62. One of the pilots challenged it in court and won (he claimed they were denying him 3 years compensation) They ended up changing it back to 65....

I used to work for big pharma Co that had 60, but they dropped it. Like everywhere else, that program is falling by the wayside. Pretty hard to justify now. Fewer and fewer all the time. Where I am now, no policy.

I only know of one corporate pilot who has ever retired. The rest have eventually lost their medicals (the Long Term Disability Pension Plan), been victims of a department closure and couldn't get hired anywhere because of age, or gone out in a pine box.

A 70 year old pilot on a 10-12 hour international flight or an 18 hour day? Some can handle it, most I would think cannot. It's hard on everyone. Everyone tap danced around this issue of taking Grampa's Car keys from him when he turned 80, when he probably should have given up driving 5 years earlier.

It would be nice to see corporations properly incentivize pilots to retire at age 65. Say like, we will give you a lump sum payment of three years salary if you retire now, if you lose your medical going forward, all you get is long term disability. I love my job, but I cannot imagine that most 65 year olds are sticking around by choice, but rather out of financial necessity or boredom. You could solve both those problems with the payoff.

Not trying to start an intergenerational flame war. Hell I wish my employer would incentivize me to retire at age 60. I would like to enjoy a retirement with my family while I have my health.

Last edited:
It would be nice to see corporations properly incentivize pilots to retire at age 65.
It's hard for me to not be sarcastic here. What is the corporations interest in this proposed policy? What is the benefit to a corporation who is presumably already paying a decent salary & benefits? I am glad you think these corporations have the wherewithal to do so. Would you extend this policy to others in the corporation such as secretaries and janitors? The whole flight department or just pilots...

The last place I worked actually had a pretty good deal for pilots. They required retirement at 60 so they paid Soc Sec to the pilot until 62 (the gap), plus pension, plus 1 extra yr pension credit for every 5 yrs employed, plus whatever was in your 401K. In my 17 yrs there I saw quite a few retire normally at 60. Course all that is gone now, but it was good for some.

Latest resources

Back