Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

crxpilot

Waaasssuuuupppppp!!!!!
for those of you who work for parc, or hacs, or rishworth etc. all those jobs listed as needing a type with time even for an FO position, can you tell me how you got your types beforehand? I realize some people are furloughed from previous jobs that were typed, but for the rest of us who have been employed elsewhere that dont offer these types, I am wondering how you got yours, or is there something I am missing?
thanks!

The ANA contracts (AJX and AJV) do not require time in type. This is one of the few contracts where the company will type you. You will also get a full Japanese ATPL (instead of just a validation). They are looking for guys over here if you are interested. Its listed on both the PARC and Hawaii websites.

If you join up as an FO with no type, is there ever a chance you could move to the left seat under a contract? My understanding is that if you sign on to work, say, with Korean as an FO, you could only go to the left seat by renegotiating your contract at its expiration. However, the direct-entry captain positions usually require a type. So, there's the rub.

Taking into consideration a move to the left seat, is being a contract pilot a reasonable career choice as an FO?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Skyward80

Normally you are expected to complete your contract on the position offered, some contracts are for three years and then you can get a new contract with a command upgrade. To your question about if it is a good carrer move, depends on what you are looking for. The F/O compensation package for some of these contracts are not that far off from the Cap's pay and the contract market will only increase in the next few years so the opportunities will be there for years to come on the international arena IMO.
Most contracts for DECA's are based on a minimum of 500 hours in type, current and qualified. Although there are some contracts that will type you as a DECA based on your overall experience level.

Training though is long and stressfull at times, I'm not saying that it is impossible of course but some folks do washout of the programs. My recommendation is to try to get as much internal info as you can about the contract you are after and be aware that you will be in training mode for 9 months start to finish (In Japan anyway) and that you will have to bring your A-game to the table. Like my sim partner put it the other day "They are not going to pass you but they sure as hell can fail you"
Again, not impossible of course but it does require a level of dedication for a long period of time.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that going to a foreign carrier as an F.O. is very risky. There are very few foreign carriers that upgrade. To name a few; they are Emirates, Etihad, Cathay, Dragonair, Oasis Hong Kong, and some of the Japanese carriers mentioned above. Places like Vietnam, Qatar, EVA, and China Airlines do upgrade but only as necessary. Most jobs are contracts in seat. What you want to look for is a permanent job with a seniority number and a seniority based upgrade. Either that or get your PIC time at a Supplemental carrier or small carrier in the USA and then go overseas as a Captain.

When I was looking there were only three carriers that I would entertain and they were the ones with seniority lists and seniority based upgrades. That was before Emirates started hiring DECs. That brings the list down to two. I guess the Japanese contract jobs do have upgrade potential, I'll let those in the know about that say more.

Emirates do upgrade quite a few guys and are still an okay bet, but not as good as pre-2004.

Typhoonpilot

Last edited:
what website are you guys using?? Any carriers in India hiring? I have an A320 type ut cant seem to find anyinfo. The on i did ive herd doest pay ontime if at all... thx

FO4HIRE, Tiger Airways in Singapore, and several contract positions through PARC Aviation and Rishworth Aviation.

I realize some people are furloughed from previous jobs that were typed, but for the rest of us who have been employed elsewhere that dont offer these types, I am wondering how you got yours, or is there something I am missing?
thanks!

You get the type rating one of two ways...your employer types you or you buy the type rating. THe Japanese contracts don't require specific type, just type in transport jet of some kind.

The ANA contracts (AJX and AJV) do not require time in type. This is one of the few contracts where the company will type you. You will also get a full Japanese ATPL (instead of just a validation). They are looking for guys over here if you are interested. Its listed on both the PARC and Hawaii websites.

D328Pilot,

Did you have any heavy time before you went? Also, are you contracted as a CA or FO and what company are you contracted through if it is crew I would like to speak with you to find out more info. Thanks

No heavy time. I am contracted as an FO and generally FOs are upgraded here around 3 to 5 years. However, it is not in your contract (yet) and there is no seniority.

I am contracted through PARC. I moved overseas for the job and needed a non-US based company for tax purposes. Send me a pm with your questions and I will give you my email.

Latest resources

Back