• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comair

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
172- keep your head up high and block out the negativity, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the flight school. There are enough people on this board that have overwhelming optimism to overcome the negativity that pops up every once in awhile..

I wish you wind at your "six" and dreams come true at your "twelve"......

Hope to see you "up there" one day.....

Kudos 350Driver. Nice to see something positive.

To the naysayers: I don't think 172 was trying to "sell" his school. I also don't think he was trying to say his training was "better" than anybody else's training.

All that he really tried to tell you was that the train/instruct/interview program he is in (I think) would give him a chance at an interview, with low time, that he might not get otherwise. No more no less.

The truth is, if he completes the ab initio training at Comair Academy, if he subsequently gets hired by the Academy to instruct (not all students do) and if he finishes the time required as an instructor he WILL get the interview.

At that point, he will have about 1000 total + 100 multi. With those totals (in today's world) he just wouldn't get an interview at Comair. They can and do get people with a lot more flight time. That didn't just happen after 9-11. Comair has always been able to attract good people with more than "average" experience. Right now, the average new hire has about 3200 hours.

There is no guarantee he will get hired, but he wouldn't even get in the door if he wasn't in that program. I think that's all he said.

If you guys don't like that program, don't do it. I promise you no one will notice. Meanwhile let 172 do his thing. It works and I hope some day I may have a chance to fly with him. The people we select from the Academy are the very best of that crop. Everyone doesn't get hired. Many of them are far better than a lot of new hires with much more flight time and just as many bad habits that they picked up God knows where.

At Comair, most of what gets you hired is your attitude, not just some numbers scribbled in a log book. The only real purpose of "hours" is to reduce the number of people we have to screen. Once you get hired we will teach you what we want you to know anyway. 172 seems to have the right attitude and I hope it lasts.

Based on what you write on this board, there's a lot of you I'll never have the pleasure of meeting.

Good luck 172. Stick to your guns.

Thanks again Surplus. You're right on the money with that one. BTW, I have been instructing for about nine months, so I've already gotten over that hiring hurdle. You are correct in saying that a lot of weeding out goes on before we get in the door at CVG for that interview. Only quality pilots and, more importantly, quality people get that far and not all of them make it either. Would love to fly with you someday. 172.

Just interviewed at comair 2 weeks ago and there were 5 academy instructors there. They seemed to have their stuff together, and I'm sure most of them got hired.

I got on with just 1400TT and a few hundred multi. I did have some 121 time, but not much. Once you're in the door, it's a level playing field and that's the way you need to approach it. If the academy gets you into the stadium, than play it for all it's worth.

Good luck with the rest of your instructing.

Steve

ps. Is it true that you are required to quit/resign if you go to the interview? What happens if you don't get it...are you on the street then?

For those of you who want 172 to wait a few years before he makes comparisons, I'll cover his six. I left the Academy as an instructor over two years ago.

I did my ratings part 61at my local FBO and then went to the Comair Academy to finish my CFI ratings. They then hired me as an instructor. I will say the program works. It is not for everyone, true statement; it is expensive, true statement; it is a pain in the a**, true statement but the program does work.

My biggest complaint about the program is that everything you do there is held over your head in regards to getting hired at the Academy/ Airline. Don't be late for lessons, you won't get hired. You don't want to pick up the extra student, you won't get hired. You don't follow the company line? The Director of Training won't give you the schopols recommendation (which is required for the interview).

I believe that many, but not all, of the cost overruns are the students fault. I can't tell you how many lesson's had to be repeated because the student did not show up prepared or showed up hung over.

It use to amaze me how many students and instructors would try to buck the system. It seemed that they had a better way or had better knowledge on what the airlines wanted and wanted to create their own way. More often than not these were the people that were let go at some point of the process. I sincerely believe that is why the airlines like military pilots. It's not that they are exceptional pilots, some are don't get me wrong, but they simply do what they are asked or told to do. To put it another way they can follow instructions.

To all you CAA people out there, keep the faith and a positive attitude. That is all the Airline wants. If you don't make the whole process, just remember that noone can take away the experience and ratings that you have gained no matter how much money you paid for them. You will find a future.

Latest resources

Back