• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

comair

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't think training costs are even a factor these days. First of all when you hire someone from a regional, its "usually" someone with Captain PIC time that tends to be in the upper half of the longevity scale anyway. Not always, but quite often. They are then replaced with a more junior Captain and his replacement (a "senior" FO) is replaced with a new hire at poverty wages, new hire vacation/sick accrual, lower 401(k) match, etc.

In addition to that, with so many regionals flying for anyone and everyone, it really doesn't matter anymore even if training costs were that big of a consideration, which they aren't anyway. Even when it did it matter many years ago, it was a miniscule cost that may have only been considered if it was "your" regional in the throws of crisis hiring, in many cases with 3 or 4 fleet types as well. Those days are long gone. It will pick up again with the retirements at mainlines in a few years, but it will just won't be that big of a factor. If you're hiring someone for 20-30+ years, a training event or two at a regional that you probably don't even own isn't even beer money to the people making the decisions.

With 500+ furloughs coming in 2011/12, I don't think that's a problem since Comair isn't ever going to hire again.

Just to recap, this is the context of the conversation:

Fortunately for the furloughees ASA picked up the ball. As a result there have been a disproportionate number of ASA pilots hired at DL since 2007.

Goggles is asserting that ASA got the disproportionate nod because ASA pilots welcomed Delta furloughees although ASA didn't have the same hiring policy.
I'm saying there was a cost differential involved.

I don't think training costs are even a factor these days.

Any cost at every airline is always a factor.

Last edited:
Just to recap, this is the context of the conversation:

Goggles is asserting that ASA got the disproportionate nod because ASA pilots welcomed Delta furloughees although ASA didn't have the same hiring policy.
I'm saying the real reason is that there was a cost differential involved.

Any cost at every airline is always a factor.

My class had 6 guys from ASA in it. Most other regionals maybe had 1 or so. I firmly believe that the ASA hiring of Delta pilots plays a large role in getting hired at Delta. ASA treated them right and it has come back to pay off for the pilots.

...I firmly believe that the ASA hiring of Delta pilots [without requiring them to resign their number at Delta] plays a large role in getting hired at Delta. ASA treated them right and it has come back to pay off for the pilots.

So your position is that the ASA pilots were disproportionally hired at Delta because of an ASA hiring policy the pilots had no control over.

Q Why don't the Delta pilots change the hiring criterion at Delta to favor Comair furloughees? They weren't here for the strike, didn't participate in the RJDC, and don't agree with Comair's hiring policy.

A Even if the Delta pilots wanted to, they couldn't. Hiring practices are not covered by the contract.

Good for Briner. He was always decent to me but he was never comfortable in an airplane as long as I knew him. Where did Piper go?

Mike got out of the business altogether and is doing very well for himself. I know he misses the flying part and doesn't miss the rest of it.

I think that is an great idea. Delta should hire the junior cmr pilots. That would piss off the lifer's even more.

So your position is that the ASA pilots were disproportionally hired at Delta because of an ASA hiring policy the pilots had no control over.

Q Why don't the Delta pilots change the hiring criterion at Delta to favor Comair furloughees? They weren't here for the strike, didn't participate in the RJDC, and don't agree with Comair's hiring policy.

A Even if the Delta pilots wanted to, they couldn't. Hiring practices are not covered by the contract.

Hi poindexter.
Looks like JC, Jessie, Dan and the rest of you girls are going to have to learn how to say, "wecome to walmart.":laugh:
It couldn't have happened to a nicer group!
Maybe you can get joemerchant to help you get on at ASA.

The ASA pilots did have a say over the hiring policies. The company asked the MEC if we would be willing to give preferential interviews to DAL pilots and be willing to let them keep their seniority. The MEC agreed to it. And it was the MEC at OH (JC) that refused to do the same at Comair.

Latest resources

Back