• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comair In Slc

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PFT is the reason why regional pilots who do the same job as mainline pilots are paid so poorly. So therefore, as long as this practice continues the wages will continue to be substandard.
So, build your experience like the rest of us did, pay you dues instead of paying the airline and then stand in line and let your knowledge and experience carry you through.
I agree that ALPA should put a stop to this practice.

The irony really strikes me here...

This entire thread, like so many others, is really pretty useless. In the first post, afellowaviator says, if I may paraphrase, SLC - great facilities, nice people, but gee, world of flightinfo.com, why on earth did I get the "cold shoulder" from the people in the crew lounge?

Hmmm...well, as much as I don't agree with it, if you walk into _any_ crew room with a "These people should be thankful for what I did at Comair - hell, we saved the d a m n industry - I can't BELIEVE they're not KISSING the ground that we walk on!" type of attitude, I don't care what airline it is, I really don't care to talk to that kind of person. Would anybody?

And whomever talked about the midwest "nod" - that's true - I wasn't aware it was different out West.

Afellowaviator and many other Comair folk are quick to criticize -- let me offer this up to everyone. I worked for an ALPA airline at the time of the Comair strike, my money went to support you and if it came to that again, I'd mail the check in gladly, as I would have for Mesaba or anyone else -- but while it might seem simplistic, WHY do you think that all of this outsourcing is happening? Do you really believe that any company out there would really say "Yep, I think we're going to have 5 or 6 regionals all flying for us - that's the right way to do things." Nope - it is an indirect result of the Comair strike. I'm not saying anything that hasn't been said before, but it chaps me a little bit when you guys are so quick to complain about "Well, we set the bar so high, why doesn't everyone bow down to us?" If I hear the phrase "Comair was the only airline that had the balls to ............", I'm going to hurl into the next Deltamatic terminal that I come across. WE GET IT. That was, if memory serves, almost THREE years ago. You guys treat it like you were the only airline that ever went on strike, and that you share absolutely no blame for what DCI has become. You can't turn a blind eye to that - you set wages high and believe me, I thank you for that.

Honestly, though, I'd be willing to wager that a vast majority of the flight crewmembers out there are probably more worried about themselves, and couldn't give a darn about you or your crew - nobody said anything rude, ddi they? So, Afellowaviator, next time you waltz into a west coast crew lounge, I wouldn't be so shocked that people aren't so quick to come right up and shake your hand.

Based on your previous posts on this board, you haven't really been the modicum of a person that I'd like to go up and talk to -- so who knows, maybe there's a disproportionate number of Skywest crews who frequent this board, and they put two and two together and figured out who you were. YOU NEVER KNOW.

-brew3

AviatorTx said:
Paying for your ratings and CFI are no different than paying for training at the next level.

WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!
When I paid for my commercial rating I earned a certificate that allowed me to work for several flight schools, two PT 135 operators, and a quality regional airline where I am still happily employed. I was paid from Day 1 at my airline. If I choose to attain a 737 type to pursue employment at WN that certificate will not contain an endorsement stating "valid only for WN aircraft." Personally I don't plan on getting a 737 type but I have no beef with foks that do nor do I care that WN requires the type. It's up to them what the quals are and it does not impact their training costs whatsoever.

When I earned my PPL, IFR, COMM, and CFI certs I dealt with FBO's. My money went towards operating aircraft, paying instructors, and providing a profit that is the incentive for all businesses to exist. My former military aviators coworkers paid a huge price for their training. They offered to put their life on the line to defend this country as a condition of employment. Please don't insult them by saying they got their training for free if they were military. You couldn't carry their jock son.

When you PFT you are directly underwriting a cost that should be borne by the employer. When was the last time you saw a pilot at a major offer to pay for his own indoc and initial aircraft training?

In your signature you mention there's "nothing regional about your regional jet." Too bad it's missing a professional in one of the seats.

Last edited:
cr7driver said:
PFT is the reason why regional pilots who do the same job as mainline pilots are paid so poorly. So therefore, as long as this practice continues the wages will continue to be substandard.
So, build your experience like the rest of us did, pay you dues instead of paying the airline and then stand in line and let your knowledge and experience carry you through.
I agree that ALPA should put a stop to this practice.

The FACT that Comair has the highest paid RJ drivers out there kind of shoots your theory down. Facts don't lie.

Try again.

AFELLOWAVIATOR said:
The FACT that Comair has the highest paid RJ drivers out there kind of shoots your theory down. Facts don't lie.

Try again.

OK

Did any other DCI carrier negotiate a contract after CMR but prior to 9/11?

Does the FACT that CMR is wholly owned by DAL help or hurt you bargaining position relative to contract carriers?

Do you just rule out 9/11 when boasting about your contract? I know you're pretty good at ignoring facts like the mumber of pilots who participated in PFT. Is 9/11 just another convenient fact to ignore? I'm not sure you if you noticed but it had an adverse effect on the industry. DAL reduced the fee for departure amount for contract carriers as a result of 9/11.

I have a feeling you'll take concessions sooner or later. I commend your pilot group for saying
no for this long.

Afello,

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm pretty sure that Horizon is the highes paid RJ operator. $/hr is just a portion of the entire renumeration package though. While you guys do have some good parts of your contract, on the hole, I wouldn't trade our package with anyone out there. That and I don't have to live/commute to CVG.

Mookie

Okay, okay..........................let's all hold hands..................

Okay, now hug each other.................................................

Okay, now kiss and makeup........................................................................

HEY! NO TONGUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Affellow...those aren't pillows!!!!!

Bellyflier, that was hilarious.

thank you!
Mookie:cool:

Mookie said:
Afello,

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm pretty sure that Horizon is the highes paid RJ operator. $/hr is just a portion of the entire renumeration package though. While you guys do have some good parts of your contract, on the hole, I wouldn't trade our package with anyone out there. That and I don't have to live/commute to CVG.

Mookie

Wrong.

Dave Benjamin said:
OK

Did any other DCI carrier negotiate a contract after CMR but prior to 9/11?

Does the FACT that CMR is wholly owned by DAL help or hurt you bargaining position relative to contract carriers?

Do you just rule out 9/11 when boasting about your contract? I know you're pretty good at ignoring facts like the mumber of pilots who participated in PFT. Is 9/11 just another convenient fact to ignore? I'm not sure you if you noticed but it had an adverse effect on the industry. DAL reduced the fee for departure amount for contract carriers as a result of 9/11.

I have a feeling you'll take concessions sooner or later. I commend your pilot group for saying
no for this long.

I'm just saying that a former PFT airline pays it pilots more than an airline, yours, that never had a PFT program. So as you can see, you cannot tie the two together.

If you want to ignore this fact, that is your right, but it does nothing to boost your argument.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back