Comair folks, info please

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Jumpseat

Eddie, I was told while in ground school not to jumpseat until after passage of the 121SIC checkride. I guess you're not really a "qualified crewmember" until you get your ticket. But, as mentioned before, they will write you tickets until you get your bennies after 30 days.

As Sideseal mentioned, sometimes you can "practice your flows" on your way home. But be mindful that your travels are logged in the Deltamatic computer and if you have to appear before the training review board (or whatever it's called) to answer for failing grades or sim difficulties, they may not look upon that too favorably. I have no personal experience with this, but have heard this from some instructors. I do know two people who travelled a lot during training, had difficulties, and unfortunately aren't here anymore. Coincidence?? I don't know. Please don't be alarmed, though. This happens rarely and for the most part, everyone gets through without a hitch!

Welcome aboard! Just a couple months ago I was sweating it out in the sims, and just the other day, I was flying from Portland, ME to LaGuardia. We descended as we flew down the Hudson River valley, turned over West Point, and captured the LDA as the sun rose over Long Island, reflecting off the buildings in Manhattan. I can't believe how much fun I'm having!

You guys have some things WAYY better than it used to be. Half of my class went to Orlando, so we didn't have enough to even start a crashpad. Now, your whole class will be in Cinci, so that should help. We also had to go through the really low first year pay, and a strike, so I don't want to hear any of you guys complaining!! No, really, it's a great job and the training is top notch. I would suggest you don't go home much, as some of the guys that tried to keep their life outside of training aren't with us anymore. Just put your life on hold for a couple of months. If your girlfriend can't handle that, then she isn't worth it anyway. Good luck guys.

Do they give you positive space while in training or is it just standby. Can you travel on Delta as well?

Super

Space-A

The tickets they write are non-rev and you'll be at the bottom of the list with no seniority. They will help you out in finding flights with a good # of open seats. They can even see how many non-revs are going, too.

One nice thing; in your 2nd week of training...Tuesday...(we started on a Monday) they'll fly your spouse/girlfriend/both down for the afternoon to attend orientation. Mgmt and Chief Pilots have lunch with you and explain the training program and its hardships to you and your significant other to try to ease things. You all get a tour of the facility, too.

As for the training footprint, it took me 2 months exactly from 1st day to checkride. IOE goes quick, too. Ground school to me was a breeze; having an extensive technical background really helped a lot. The sims proved challenging to most in my class. 1/3 of us were Academy and flew nothing larger than a Seminole...we all made it just fine, albeit with a few bumps, scrapes, and bruises. A couple other turbine operators didn't make it, and some with jet time found it challenging at first, but eventually breezed through.

Like I said before. They are quite willing to work with you, especially if you demonstrate a good attitude and a willingness to sacrafice and learn. Put your life on hold two measly months for a lifetime of rewards. Just recently I descended into Colorado Springs on a crisp clear day with snow blanketing the ground and the Rockies were so beautiful with their frosty tops while Pike's Peak stood prominently and looked magnificent from 150nm away!

I want to know how hovernut keeps getting these good trips. He must know someone high up....LOL!

Just lucky, I guess! Don't worry, I'll get my share of 'boring' runs soon enough. The COS run is normally a 70 seater, but they got booted off due to the center fuel tank AD, I believe.

I also did a Houston out and back because they displaced a 70 off that, too...not sure if it's a fuel deal, or if they ran out of 70's during the snowstorm the other day.

Just waiting to get the call to do Helena and Santa Barbara!! Twenty-five hour layover in SLC...can you say ski trip?!

Well, I got to deadhead back from YUL yesterday, so there! Just saw that they put a COS turn on my schedule later this month...we will see what happens. Also waiting for the call to "go west, young man"!

ha, if you guys think you have it good, i'll be in harrisburg, PA for the entire month, well atleast 4 hrs. a night for the month..Beat that..:p

Latest resources

Back