• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan 3407 Down in Buffalo

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's in all our natures to wonder and speculate after an accident...Ice...weather...mechanical...crew...it's part of the analytical nature of pilots, but still, a gear problem is reaching quite a bit.

yeah I hear you.....they went down past the marker it appears.

who knows, god bless to the crew and pax

going to bed, enough airplane crash cable news for me....

I didn't hear anything unusual from the crew of the Colgan flight.

Thats what struck me the most right there. She sounded just like I do when its the last leg of the day and the hotel/home is just minutes away.

All R.I.P. and you'll be in my thoughts tonight!

She seemed pretty calm as they were handed off to tower and they crashed like 1-2 minutes afterward? Something bad happened real quick..

Godspeed............

The Delta and Cactus that followed 3407 reported rime icing.

Metar:

KBUF 130254Z 24015G22KT 3SM -SN BR FEW011 BKN021 OVC027 01/M01 A2979 RMK AO2 SLP097 P0001 60004 T00061006 5101

Not that I know anything but flying out of ERI around that time the icing was pretty bad, took us 20 Min to get the ice off that we got on the way in. RIP I can't express how sorry I fell about this.

Thats what struck me the most right there. She sounded just like I do when its the last leg of the day and the hotel/home is just minutes away.

All R.I.P. and you'll be in my thoughts tonight!

To me, the approach clearance readback sounded perfectly normal, and as you say typical of someone looking forward to the end of the day. Listening to the tower handoff though she sounds a little preoccupied. Just my speculative observation though. People with lots more training than I will figure it out in due course, and no doubt their deaths will make the rest of us a little bit safer.

Icing played a role in the crash? opinions?

Just looked at the metar for buf....blowing snow and mist.....

KBUF 130505Z COR 25012KT 4SM -SN BR BKN008 BKN015 OVC021 01/00 A2983 RMK AO2 CIG 005V011 P0000

People on here complain about how the media gets it wrong and then posts something that would easily be mis interpreted if picked up by the media.

"Just look at the METAR" and what??? What is your point this is a routine observation at an airport. Where do you get Blowing Snow...BR is MIST...there is no mention of Blowing Snow anywhere in this metar...

And even if there was Blowing snow...what does that have to do with icing?

...there is no mention of Blowing Snow anywhere in this metar...

12 knots of wind combined with falling light snow equals blowing snow.

But I agree with the last comment of your post.

People on here complain about how the media gets it wrong and then posts something that would easily be mis interpreted if picked up by the media.

"Just look at the METAR" and what??? What is your point this is a routine observation at an airport. Where do you get Blowing Snow...BR is MIST...there is no mention of Blowing Snow anywhere in this metar...

I'll tell you that just a little bit south (ERI) it was at least Moderate Icing we had to get almost max power to stay at 190 Knots, not saying that it had anything to do with it.

Latest resources

Back