• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Climbing above RVSM airspace

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why is RVSM required for new operators or N number change? Pilot training required and The FAA says so...
Flying Neg RVSM is no big deal if you stay out of the NE. Change equipment suffix add NEG RVSM in remarks and take it to the sky. and state NEG rvsm on radio when passing through. You will not be able to level off in RVSM anywhere unless there is a need from controlling agency. it's a little bit of a hassle and

I know you wouldnt do it, but make sure you dont fly/file in RVSM without the LOA. When we were getting approval for the LOA last year, we had a few trips on the plane. We filed low, but requested climb through RVSM and always got it. When I went to pick up the LOA, the inspector said, "you guys sure have been flying alot lately." So, my next order of business was to contact NBAA and have my plane blocked!

You do realize that that'll keep us from seeing, but not your POI.

New twist on the RVSM bs. We haven't had any problems getting clearance above RVSM airspace so far but have a trip scheduled to Cabo San Lucas this week. Im guessing the same would apply in Mexico especially since you spend so much time in non radar environment. Planning to file for FL280 and request FL430 enroute. Anybody out there had issues with this in Mexico?

Great question. The LOA program is bizarre; has to be based on what the Europeans insist on to employ a few hundred additional EASA drones.
RVSM training in 8 seconds:
Don't hand fly above 28,000 feet, always stay on your assigned altitude, and make sure your aircraft is RVSM certified.
It should be that simple.

Don't forget to reduce your rate of climb / descent to 1,000fpm or less for the last 1,000 ft prior to level-off....

New twist on the RVSM bs. We haven't had any problems getting clearance above RVSM airspace so far but have a trip scheduled to Cabo San Lucas this week. Im guessing the same would apply in Mexico especially since you spend so much time in non radar environment. Planning to file for FL280 and request FL430 enroute. Anybody out there had issues with this in Mexico?

Are you flying from the US to Cabo San Lucas? If so, you won't be spending any time outside of radar contact on that flight.

I have heard, on numerous occasions, Mexico ATC denying aircraft higher than FL280 when they're non-RVSM.

Are you flying from the US to Cabo San Lucas? If so, you won't be spending any time outside of radar contact on that flight.

I have heard, on numerous occasions, Mexico ATC denying aircraft higher than FL280 when they're non-RVSM.

Especially if your crossing from South Texas, it's will soon be very busy along those routes.

I fly a ce-560 contract on a regular basis and transition through RVSM to 430 - 450, it's a nobrainer and easy to do... Just make sure u have the required equipment suffix and don't accept a level off at RVSM altitudes and u will b fine

None of this would be an issue if the FAA didn't allow FSDOs to have their heads up their asses when it comes to issuing RVSM OpSpecs in a timely manner.

The day we took delivery of our CJ2+, I got a call from our FSDO saying they needed a copy of the temp registration so they could issue; one single fax page from Cessna and I had the OpSpecs in hand before signing the delivery papers.

On a previous aircraft, it was 16 total days from FSDO receiving our manuals until I picked up the paperwork.

Every time I read some operator taking 3-6 MONTHS to get an LOA I can't help but shake my head...

Latest resources

Back