Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

swamprat

All,
Forgive my ignorance. My first time taking delivery of a new aircraft and awaiting approval of our RVSM LOA. Does anyone have any experience with getting clearance from ATC to climb through RVSM to take advantage of altitudes above 410? If so are than any particular ways to request this on the flight plan? Taking delivery next week and really don't want to be stuck low for up to 60 days. Local FSDO is already expecting us and the HMU flight is being accomplished on delivery day.

Thanks for your input!

neg RVSM on flight plan remarks helps along with the appropriate flight plan code. We went to FL430 and FL450 many times in a new Lear. You might get a delayed climb and early descent. Also, a real early descent in the NE

Pack a little extra fuel in case you're held down on departure and started down early on arrival, but we had no problems on cross-country flights after delivery for a few weeks until we got our LOAs.

Plan to stay low and burn the extra gas. ATC is not required to let you climb even if they have no conflicts. The plus side is your TAS should be awesome at FL280.

Does anyone know why they make RVSM operator specific as opposed to airworthiness specific?

All,
Forgive my ignorance. My first time taking delivery of a new aircraft and awaiting approval of our RVSM LOA. Does anyone have any experience with getting clearance from ATC to climb through RVSM to take advantage of altitudes above 410? If so are than any particular ways to request this on the flight plan? Taking delivery next week and really don't want to be stuck low for up to 60 days. Local FSDO is already expecting us and the HMU flight is being accomplished on delivery day.

Thanks for your input!

Very easy to do.................I flew contract for an air ambulance company for a couple years...maybe did 50 flights in two years. Each and every time we climbed through, in and above RVSM airspace. Both planes were NOT RVSM certified and still are not and they still fly in RVSM airspace today just like everyone else does.

Just put "Negative RVSM" in the remarks section of the flight plan....then you MUST tell each ATC controller that you get handed off to that you are Negative RVSM (only while in RVSM airspace boundaries) on your initial call up to that controller. Thats it.

I would say, from memory, 2-3 times in two years did we ever get a delay of any kind and maybe 3-4 times while crusing, IN RVSM airspace, we were asked to make slight turn to accommodate other RVSM traffic.

Also....we just did it recently about 8 trips from Florida to Hew Hamshire....awaiting our new LOA. We operated 100% identical......climbed into RVSM normally like we always do, had zero turns or hold downs......we flew to-and-from New Hamshire like nothing changed. Even up in the NE...it was all normal flying.

Last edited:
Very easy to do.................I flew contract for an air ambulance company for a couple years...maybe did 50 flights in two years. Each and every time we climbed through, in and above RVSM airspace. Both planes were NOT RVSM certified and still are not and they still fly in RVSM airspace today just like everyone else does.

Just put "Negative RVSM" in the remarks section of the flight plan....then you MUST tell each ATC controller that you get handed off to that you are Negative RVSM (only while in RVSM airspace boundaries) on your initial call up to that controller. Thats it.

I would say, from memory, 2-3 times in two years did we ever get a delay of any kind and maybe 3-4 times while crusing, IN RVSM airspace, we were asked to make slight turn to accommodate other RVSM traffic.

Also....we just did it recently about 8 trips from Florida to Hew Hamshire....awaiting our new LOA. We operated 100% identical......climbed into RVSM normally like we always do, had zero turns or hold downs......we flew to-and-from New Hamshire like nothing changed. Even up in the NE...it was all normal flying.

Doesn't air ambulance enjoy a special exemption?

Does anyone know why they make RVSM operator specific as opposed to airworthiness specific?
Great question. The LOA program is bizarre; has to be based on what the Europeans insist on to employ a few hundred additional EASA drones.
RVSM training in 8 seconds:
Don't hand fly above 28,000 feet, always stay on your assigned altitude, and make sure your aircraft is RVSM certified.
It should be that simple.

Flew freight all the time in 35's that were NON-RVSM, Air ambulance or not you will be able to get to 430 just about every time. I think there was one time we couldn't, but it was a short flight anyway. Just make sure you check the temps up high and make sure you are light enough to not only get there but get there quick. Nothing seems worse for a controller than a NON-RVSM aircraft inching it's way through crowded RVSM airspace. Good luck.

Latest resources

Back