• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Changing Frequency after clearing the Runway

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Its in the AIM. Dont switch until instructed to do so by GC anywhere, espicailly in the era of runway safety awareness and focus. If the controllers get pissed when you ask if its time to switch, then thats their problem. Don't let some lazy controllers lure you into a possible certificate action. Do it right all the time and you won't have to worry. You never know when a new air traffic manager might take over who lowers the boom, or a FSDO guy sits nearby listening to the scanner to randomly catch y'all doing something wrong. Its all taped. They have no action to take against you for doing it right. Its your ticket, do you really want to be the one they decide to make an example of for something so small and menial?
Incorrect. It is in the AIM that you should contact tower once completing your taxi when reaching the runway or in the runup block. This is the only time I know of when you should switch frequencies without being instructed to do so.

Mr. I.

Incorrect. It is in the AIM that you should contact tower once completing your taxi when reaching the runway or in the runup block. This is the only time I know of when you should switch frequencies without being instructed to do so
Good as a general rule but don't take to the bank (like LAX or SFO), never assume this recommendation out of the USA.

Mr. I,
That was a typo, it should read do not switch to GC until told to do so by LC. Sorry. You rae right in the context in which you offered it. Thanks.

Screw the controller. The AIM is not regulatory. Where does it say in the FARs that you can't switch freqs?

The AIM is a good starting point, knowing local procedures and common sense go a long way.

I'm guessing you guys (and girls) also drive exactly 45 MPH when the speed limit is posted 45! (not 1 MPH over or under). If your driving 46 MPH, your breaking the law.

I agree, one should take into consideration common sense and local procedures, very good point.

And yes, the AIM is NOT regulatory, though one can get "careless and reckless" if one completely ignores certain practices in the AIM. I'm just saying, contacting ground after clearing the runway without tower telling you to do so, will NOT get you violated......unless you screw something else up in doing so!

Screw the controller. The AIM is not regulatory. Where does it say in the FARs that you can't switch freqs?

Glad you wrote that. Too many folks see the AIM as regulatory - it's NOT. Read the title - it's recommended practices and procedures.

Most airports have their practices published in the jepps if it's out of the norm. They'll specifically say to/ or not to contact ground/tower whatever, if it makes it easier for them. (See AMS)

If you're not sure what to do - ASK. If you switch and they didn't what you to, they'll switch you back to where you came from. It's not rocket science ! .. and you can't get Violated for switching to ground/tower unless you were specifically told not to and then you do it anyway.

If you're "familiar" with an airport, you know what to expect. Sometimes the controller gets busy and forgets to switch you. There's no foul in changing freqs if you know it's coming anyway. If you want to get anal about it just say: " so and so to go to ground/tower? " and wait for him/her to specifically send you. Either way, you're OK to do it.

Common sense??

OK, how about the test question on the Private Pilot written that asks "When do you switch to ground control?"

The answer?: "When advised by the tower to do so."

It's been in the question bank since Christ was a Corporal.

DO NOT JUST SWITCH FREQUENCY ON YOUR OWN!!!!! Owe the problems. Just because its a published frequency doens't mean the controller is going to be on it. We have 2 grounds and about 5 different freq's we could use.

Rule of thumb....Controller tells you to turn off at M3 and head for delta then do it and wait until instructed to contact ground.

Controller tells you to turn off at M3 and head for delta and remain with them then do it.

If a controller tells you to turn off at M3 and that is the end of it, turn at M3, clear the runway and ask for further instructions, ie a taxi route or frequency change but if you just clear an active runway and then switch on your own then you are going to have some upset controllers becuase nothing is worse then blocking a highspeed, nothing is worse then having a plane wondering around not talking to anyone when we have 40 other planes moving out there.

DON'T JUST SWITCH FREQ'S. IF YOU DO, WELL THEN YOU ARE .....WELL, IM NOT GOING TO SAY IT.

Latest resources

Back