Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TheRaven

Runway Sweeper 3rd Class
Reading Aim 4-3-20, it doesn't say you should change to ground automatically if tower has said nothing....no "Join Bravo and contact ground, taxi to the gate this freq etc. Basically you roll out and clear the runway....what next.

I contend that the tower must switch you, or provide taxi instructions until they switch you, otherwise, you come to a stop once past the hold short/clear line and querry them....you can't switch to ground automatically.

The person I'm having the disagreement with seems to think that switching to the published ground frequency immediately is ok if you haven't heard from tower.

I was reprimanded about switching automatically years ago (I believe it was LGA ground), but it seems that the wording has changed to be a little more ambiguous.

Any controllers here want to reference 7110.65 and tell me what the official word on it is.

The AIM is correct. There's nothing that mandates what pilots should do in the 7110.65. The two documents (AIM & 7110.65) work inconjunction with one another. If you have cleared the runway and not been given any instructions by the local (Tower) controller....then ask! Do NOT just switch to GC.

The one and only exception I can think of is if local is having a stuck mike or some radio problem. Then I would make the change on my own.

Exactly what I thought, but I was told I was wrong in my interpretation of the AIM by my FO. Looks like he's buying the beer.

Quoting the AIM is fine, I agree that it states that you should not switch over to ground unless directed to by tower (though, I don't have the AIM in front of me).

But it has been a generally accepted method to do so without being told by tower. Many of us do it this way, right or wrong.

The AIM also states that one should pronounce the number 3 as "tree", but I have rarely flown with anyone who says it that way. Maybe more controllers do say it the right way, but not all of them.

Not saying to ignore the AIM, just saying there is the AIM way of doing things, and there is the generally accepted way of doing things.

But it has been a generally accepted method to do so without being told by tower. Many of us do it this way, right or wrong.
Yes but understanding what you are supposed do is the subject here and will keep you out of trouble when away from podunk airport.

Its in the AIM. Dont switch until instructed to do so by GC anywhere, espicailly in the era of runway safety awareness and focus. If the controllers get pissed when you ask if its time to switch, then thats their problem. Don't let some lazy controllers lure you into a possible certificate action. Do it right all the time and you won't have to worry. You never know when a new air traffic manager might take over who lowers the boom, or a FSDO guy sits nearby listening to the scanner to randomly catch y'all doing something wrong. Its all taped. They have no action to take against you for doing it right. Its your ticket, do you really want to be the one they decide to make an example of for something so small and menial?

Nothing ever happens until you are not doing what you are supposed to be doing. I love people that make up their own procedures. There is a reason the FEDs make up these rules, some of them dumb or silly in certain situations follow them and everyone is on the same page! Sometimes you will sit there for what seems to be a eternity waiting for tower to tell you to switch.

Latest resources

Back