Challenger 300

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
... a single source of pressurization.

I asked Bombardier about that and they said that should you lose your pack you'll be running on "trim" air which limits you to FL350 or so. Isn't that where the G200 slogs around on a daily basis? ;) The only thing you really lose is ability to maintain an exact cabin temp.
I wonder if they offer a retrofit of more capable nav equipment.

I knew that we could count on you to be constructive .....

CL-300 appears to be a great airplane (never flown one). Everyone that I know who flies it, loves it.

I would caution on using it as an overwater aircraft .... it is a little light on navigation and pressurization.

Only GPS and a single source of pressurization.

probably not much different than taking a Hawker overseas?

:crying:

I asked Bombardier about that and they said that should you lose your pack you'll be running on "trim" air which limits you to FL350 or so. Isn't that where the G200 slogs around on a daily basis? ;) The only thing you really lose is ability to maintain an exact cabin temp.
I wonder if they offer a retrofit of more capable nav equipment.

I always thought the "single source" issue was a bit overblown. When we went across, we planned a 10,000' depressurization scenario and we weren't even close on fuel issues. And that's assuming you're not happy on the trim-air system which should be fine...

As far as long range nav - no there is no INS option. But again, 20 years ago nobody had even a fraction of the nav capability of dual GPS and they did just fine with ancient, inaccurate INSs. Would I like to have INS? Sure, but I don't think the world would spin out of control if I lost both GPSs in the middle of the Atlantic. Inconvenient, but not a reason to lose the airplane...

Is the Challenger 300 the best choice if your mission is extended over-water ops? Probably not. But it is more than capable of the trip. They do it every day. And so do a bunch of other guys in LearJets and Hawkers...

Last edited:
Given the choice of 2 GPS's or 2 INS's when flying over water, I will take the 2 INS's. Once we get back over dry land, I will take the GPS.

Also, what is wrong with taking a Hawker over the pond ... I hear that some of them now two sources of bleed and dual nav sources ....

Latest resources

Back