Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
bobbysamd said:
An inspector can renew based on personal aquaintance

The 8710 form (prior to its revision on 4/2000) did have a check box for re-newal on acquaintance. The problem was there is no guidance anywhere that says an Inspector can do this. So the check box was taken out of the current form. If an Inspector is doing this, they may be sticking their neck out.

JAFI

Renewal based on acquaintance

JAFI said:
The 8710 form (prior to its revision on 4/2000) did have a check box for re-newal on acquaintance. The problem was there is no guidance anywhere that says an Inspector can do this. So the check box was taken out of the current form. If an Inspector is doing this, they may be sticking their neck out.
Things change. Thanks, Mr. JAFI.

One other way of renewing is to take a practical, pursuant to 14 CFR 61.197(a)(1):

Sec. 61.197 - Renewal of flight instructor certificates.

(a) A person who holds a flight instructor certificate that has not expired may renew that certificate by --

(1) Passing a practical test for --

(i) One of the ratings listed on the current flight instructor certificate; or

(ii) An additional flight instructor rating . . .

My instructor renewed one time just by taking his MEI, though he never had any plans to instruct multi. I realize many people don't relish taking practicals, but going to a friendly examiner may still take less time than going to a refresher, etc.

Just another option to mention.

Last edited:
Whiskey Tango said:
How many hours does Gliem and American Flyers take to complete?

American Flyers' program actually times your mouse-moving activity and requires a certain amount of clock-time in each segment to equal a total of 16 hours per the regulation on FIRC renewals, HOWEVER, Gliem's program does NOT time you, and you can complete it on proficiency based on your ability to quickly answer the questions. Both are a good review.

nosehair said:
American Flyers' program actually times your mouse-moving activity and requires a certain amount of clock-time in each segment to equal a total of 16 hours per the regulation on FIRC renewals.
I just did the American Flyers review and had no problem with the clock ticking away with the window minimized while I was doing other things (most of the time not at the computer) In the past I've had to change the open window every 20 minutes or so to keep the clock counting, but I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with mouse movement. I've already paid for the American Flyers course, so I'll keep using it, but the test questions are badly written, frequently with multiple correct answers. They're looking to make sure you read their material, not that you actually understand it. But hey, the price is right.

A friend of mine figured out that if you open multiple windows of what you are supposed to be studying for the American flyers course, it divdes the time required by the number of windows. So a 4 hour module could be done in an hour with four windows open. I haven't tried this, so I don't know if it works, but it's worth a shot!

Latest resources

Back