Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DruDown

Where's the Runway?
I know this has been discussed before, but what are the best options for renewing a CFI certificate?

I've already renewed it once, using my percentage of students passing. Can I go into the FSDO and ask a friendly inspector to sign me off again? Do I need to do one of the online deals or take an exam with a DPE? What other options are there?

Of my options, what are the best and least time consuming?

Thanks in advance!

Dru

If you've got the percentage of students, thats probably the easiest way to go. Otherwise online is pretty easy, I used american flyers and they have some heavy time requirements (just time in front of the computer) but still it wasn't too bad. If you have the money and time I would catch a FIRC somewhere. As far as I know those are the only ways unless you are a check airmen or can prove that you are in a postion that involves the regular evaluation of pilots blah blah blah...

Or you could always get a new add-on for your instructor certificate. That's what's kept me away from the FIRCs so far--CFII and then CFIG.

-Goose

Last edited:
americanflyers has a lifetime cost of something around 100. Goes over things which is nice to review, quiz out and your done.

CFI renewal

DruDown said:
I've already renewed it once, using my percentage of students passing. Can I go into the FSDO and ask a friendly inspector to sign me off again?
An inspector can renew based on personal aquaintance and, as you know, renew based on activity. Either way takes the least amount of time. Just bring your records and a completed 8710 to FSDO. Except for one instance where a hostile inspector at an unfamiliar FSDO gave me a hard time, I essentially walked in and walked out with my fresh Temporary within minutes.

Last edited:
I did the JEPP / ASF.ORG online renewal. Costed $119.00 and took me less than 2 days to do. Easy.

DruDown said:
I know this has been discussed before, but what are the best options for renewing a CFI certificate?

I've already renewed it once, using my percentage of students passing. Can I go into the FSDO and ask a friendly inspector to sign me off again? Do I need to do one of the online deals or take an exam with a DPE? What other options are there?

Of my options, what are the best and least time consuming?

Thanks in advance!

Dru

I usually have the local inspector do it for me, he's a great guy but last time mine came up I was not in the area so I went with American Flyers for $100 online. It was pretty painless and would recommend it. Also $100 bucks once and its good for life. Best deal I know of outside of knowing a local FSDO guy.

Thanks all of you for input, I really appreciate it!

Dru

Just did the Jeppeson online deal. Shelling out $119 sucked, but it did the trick. It took me about six hours, or two dedicated days to finish. Very boring and redundant, but good for another two years I guess. I don't currently teach but, I felt it was important to kept it current.

Don't forget Gleim's online course. You can take the first lesson free, and it counts toward completion of the course if you decide to buy it. They can renew your CFI certificate directly and mail it to you, saving you a trip to the FSDO.

Josh M.

Latest resources

Back