Cathay Career progression

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
yes they will

Will Cathay hire someone for an SO position if most of their time is as an FO on a jet such as one would get working for a regional? I would have some PIC time from instructing 500-600 hours and then the rest Jet FO or do i need jet PIC?

Yes. To be competitive for an S/O interview your are looking at close to 3000+ total time and quite a bit of Turbine/Jet.

Saviboy,

Once you are employed by CX as an S/O you cannot actually take a freighter course until 1 year after your first initial line check. In order to be eligible the company will review your previous experience (forget what it is) and current sim performances.

Hey ERJ...I am sorry I missed your calls. I have been in YYJ on the farm sorting things out for the Summer. Back into HKG tomorrow AM. So...how did it go? PM me!

Once you are employed by CX as an S/O you cannot actually take a freighter course until 1 year after your first initial line check. In order to be eligible the company will review your previous experience (forget what it is) and current sim performances.

Maybe this is what the contract says, but a guy (DESO) who just left CX told me that they don't allow this anymore. He said you need to have completed your second line check before you're deemed eligible for a freighter course (plus have DEFO experience on DOJ, passed sim, etc). Any truth to this?

Maybe this is what the contract says, but a guy (DESO) who just left CX told me that they don't allow this anymore. He said you need to have completed your second line check before you're deemed eligible for a freighter course (plus have DEFO experience on DOJ, passed sim, etc). Any truth to this?

One year after your initial line check you would have another annual line check, so that makes sense. I also can't think of anyone getting hired as an SO that didn't have some FO experience.

SO's also do sims every month so i'm sure they are being evaluated all the time.

I'm not an SO so I may be wrong on all of these, but it seems to be pretty simmple.

To be more accurate, you can take your upgrade interview anytime after your first initial line check, but you're not allowed start your F/O course until you have completed your first ANNUAL line check. So yes, 1 intial, 1 annual.

Thanks for the clarification guys. Makes sense now. The guy sounded like you have to pass 2 annual line checks before making the switch. I'm joining as a DESO and just wondering what my options are when it's time to upgrade.

Latest resources

Back