• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CASS and MLOA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ease up, Rez. An F/A asks the Captain if I can ride in the cockpit, he says yes, I get on the airplane. The option was to say "no thanks, Captain," and not go home. Don't you advocate Captains' authority?

Maybe I was a little harsh huh? The MND's are getting to me!!!! :angryfire

Maybe I was a little harsh huh? The MND's are getting to me!!!! :angryfire

Funny...we had 16 jets on the ramp last week for a 1 turn 1.....WHOA!

Maybe I am wrong... correct me... I understand that you occupied the flightdeck without CASS verification?

Wow! Sounds like someone needs a nap!

Alright you friggin clown, I've had it with you.

are you gonna kill me with the F-22? Or maybe just beat me up with the little F-16?

This was a friendly discussion amongst MIL bro's and being on MIL LEAVE and you barge in and tell us we're "screwing it up" and "we have no concern."

What does MIL have to do this? cause this is the MIL forum? Does one have to be in the 'club' to be in this forum? :rolleyes:

Well...are you screwing it up?

It took you 14m to reply to my first post and no reply yet on my second.

Get lost. How in the F are we screwing it up by being on military leave while SERVING OUR COUNTRY and trying to use the jumpseat in a very legal and legitimate way so we can see our families???

What does MIL have to do this? I think we all use the j/s to see our familes. Is your family more special than anyone elses that you can take the j/s for granted? Because you are serving our country you get to break the CASS rules? That is not service that is entitlement. I am wrong aren't I?

You're the screw up. You act like you wrote the book on the jumpseat. No one is impressed with your act. All of us military officers are doing things legitimately, trust me.

military officers? Who said anything about MIL officers? Do you jumpseat as MIL officer or a Line Pilot?

Trust but verify... did the guy sit in the jumpseat w/o CASS verification?

No one is going to revoke your j/s priveledges for god's sakes. The last thing people like myself, Magnum, Deuce130, Bearcat, etc...would do is harm your freedoms you idiot - on the contrary we're fighting for them.

What do you know about jumpseat agreements, policy and protocol? You are a jumpseat user not a j/s committee member....

What does DOD service have to do with this? Should alleged violations of CASS be excused becuase one is a US Armed Forces Officer? Do the rules not apply to certain people? Is there a level of entitlement?

Well since you keep bringing MIL up... another guy got on this board months ago and talked about drinking beer while j/sing... another big N-O. He had the entitlement attitude to go with the poor decision making...He was a MIL guy... coincindence? You tell me.

Get over yourself. I know better yet - calm down and go grab a cookie.

I gave all my cookies away to FA's when I request the jumpseat... I try and give to the program not just take...

The fact is you guys can keep going on with your beer drinking and non CASS flight deck jumpseating.... and you proabably won't get noticed....

But is it worth it?

Last edited:
Rez.. I have to agree with you on this one. I am a Mil guy so srapdog I can talk. Mag is screwing the system and if he/she were to get caught and then they find out Mil leave is involved they will say ok if you are on mil leave no jumpseat of any kind. It is not the issue of riding in the back while on mil leave it is the fact that he/she rode in the cp when they knew they were not allowed. Hell, the TSA could go after them for some homeland security issue or something. The captain is wrong for letting it happen but Mag should have known better than break the rule. That is one rule I don't want to be caught breaking

RedDog-

It is bad enough the MIL guys get dumped out of the CASS system while on MIL leave. The FARs say 'active pilot on a seniority list'. Well the MIL guys are still employed by thier carrier so why make it difficult...??

I occasionally chuckle when guys ask me for my medical when I jumpseat. A medical is not required.. ok...it can be used as another document to verify... however, by now if my FAA certificate, passport and company ID aren't enough.. ... (and a DOD ID for the MIL guys...).. the point on the medicals? Guys who go out on medical and become sim instructors can still jumpseat.... as long as they are on the acitve seniority list. Same with management pilots who take a desk job...

Anyway.... my original point... it is bad enough the MIL guys have problems j/sing... maybe you guys shouldn't make it worse by non-CASS-ing the flightdeck.. hopefully the blowback will be no more MIL guys can jumpseat on MIL leave instead of it effecting all of us...

Last edited:
Wow! Sounds like someone needs a nap!

are you gonna kill me with the F-22? Or maybe just beat me up with the little F-16?

What does MIL have to do this? cause this is the MIL forum? Does one have to be in the 'club' to be in this forum? :rolleyes:

Well...are you screwing it up?

It took you 14m to reply to my first post and no reply yet on my second.

What does MIL have to do this? I think we all use the j/s to see our familes. Is your family more special than anyone elses that you can take the j/s for granted? Because you are serving our country you get to break the CASS rules? That is not service that is entitlement. I am wrong aren't I?

military officers? Who said anything about MIL officers? Do you jumpseat as MIL officer or a Line Pilot?

Trust but verify... did the guy sit in the jumpseat w/o CASS verification?

What do you know about jumpseat agreements, policy and protocol? You are a jumpseat user not a j/s committee member....

What does DOD service have to do with this? Should alleged violations of CASS be excused becuase one is a US Armed Forces Officer? Do the rules not apply to certain people? Is there a level of entitlement?

Well since you keep bringing MIL up... another guy got on this board months ago and talked about drinking beer while j/sing... another big N-O. He had the entitlement attitude to go with the poor decision making...He was a MIL guy... coincindence? You tell me.

I gave all my cookies away to FA's when I request the jumpseat... I try and give to the program not just take...

The fact is you guys can keep going on with your beer drinking and non CASS flight deck jumpseating.... and you proabably won't get noticed....

But is it worth it?

Rez, I'd never kill you or beat you up with any jet. On the contrary, I've signed the dotted line to defend our country and its citizens (i.e. you) whenever duty calls.

MIL has everything to do with it. One, it was posted by a MILITARY pilot that also flies with the airlines in the MILITARY forum. Two, it involved him asking other MILITARY folks who did the same thing (i.e. folks like me, Magnum, Bearcat) on his deal with j/s'ing on MILITARY LEAVE.

Nope, I'm not screwing it up. Or am I? If you'd like to file a complaint on me...please by all means call CAL. If you'd like to PM me, I'll give you my full name and employee number so you can voice to them exactly your feelings.

I j/s as a line pilot that also serves as a MILITARY OFFICER. As a MILITARY OFFICER, I am discriminated against j/s'ing after 30 days on MILITARY LEAVE. That is my thoughts. I'm still employed by my airline on the active seniority list - but I just happen to be serving my country currently in the UNITED STATES MILITARY, i.e. protected by the USERRA laws of 1994. All of us MILITARY PILOTS were having a friendly discussion with each other on our experiences since we've been on MILITARY LEAVE.

IMO, Magnum didn't have a CASS violation. As a matter of fact if you read his post, CASS wasn't working at the time. He asked the captain flying the aircraft if he could j/s and the captain gave him permission. In no way did Magnum disrespect the rules and courtesies of j/s'ing nor did he actively go out of his way to illegitimately j/s.

As far as the other MILITARY guy drinking beer while j/s'ing...well, I think it is a coincidence. Neither myself or Magnum is "that guy." As a matter of fact, I've seen civilian clowns blatantly break rules as well. It has absolutely nothing to do with being in the MILITARY or not. Are you one of those guys?

Last but not least - I haven't responded to your prior post until now was frankly I had much more important things to do then wait for you to formulate yours. And overall I'm getting tired of your high and mighty talk down speeches about what someone can and can't do while j/s'ing, how to act, etc. In all honesty, it's lame.

If you'd like to complain about me or MILITARY PILOTS j/s'ing in general - I'll be glad to provide you with all the data you'd like. You will find that no where have I violated any j/s rules, nor have 99.9999% of other MILITARY guys.

Anyway.... my original point... it is bad enough the MIL guys have problems j/sing... maybe you guys shouldn't make it worse by non-CASS-ing the flightdeck.. hopefully the blowback will be no more MIL guys can jumpseat on MIL leave instead of it effecting all of us...

Maybe I'm not getting this right..are you saying that you're hoping that guys on MIL leave won't be able to jumpseat?

When you say "all of us" I think that includes those that are airline pilots that are also in the Guard/Reserves. I was an airline guy before I became military, so I know about jumpseat abuse and helping people out. The jumpseat is a professional courtesy that is extended to all airline pilots, though the majority are P121. Only since 9/11 has the authority of who rides in the cockpit been taken away from the Captain. Although the TSA runs who can sit in the cockpit, the jumpseat is still (and should remain) a courtesy for airline pilots.

Obviously you're not familiar with most types of MIL leave. I may have volunteered for the Reserves, but I don't get to pick and chose when and where I want to go. I didn't get to chose to spend 4 months away from home in training in a location that makes it almost impossible to get home. On top of that, the only way to get home, if the schedule works out, is to jumpseat. I am still an airline pilot and on a seniority list. Although I may not be able to ride up front, at least I am extended the professional courtesy of the "jumpseat". Pilots on MIL leave are not a rogue group of "fake" airline pilots trying to catch a free ride. We're just trying to catch a ride to wherever me may need to go. CASS may have thrown a few problems into the mix, but it doesn't mean to create a segregation of those that serve and those that do not.

My understanding is CASS is for the cockpit . . . but I have also heard of incidents when CASS was down, and because the JS pilot could not be "verified," he was not even allowed to sit in the back :-( Also heard that when CASS is "down," you are just SOL.

Although not part of the MLOA crowd, my thanks go out to them for their on-going sacrifices . . . talking about having a few brands in the fire.

BTW, as a retired mil guy, I've seen plenty of mil and civ guys who would do well to listen to the voices from the other side of the fence.
Cheers,
'Props

REZ,

Wow, these guys sacrificing thier time and income to defend our counrty should be entitled the j/s. IMHO even stay in CASS, that is not the case here. The captain that allowed the dude to sit in the cp j/s is at fault, if there is any fault to issue. I believe in Captains authority and if he says you can sit up front then he is taking the responsibility. That being said, how is a MLOA airline pilot j/s any different than that of a civvie pilot requesting a j/s for personal business. We are all in the same boat, just different reasons for using the jumpseat. I still think a pilot going to work has the priority, after that it's up to the skipper.

my 2 cents.

BTW, to the mil pilots...thank ya'll for your sacrifice

Latest resources

Back