Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Tim47SIP

Serving for the USofA
Any of you guys on MLOA still allowed in CASS. I am showing up as a current employee but unauthorized to Jump. I was wondering if it is a TSA thing or your own airline.

Thanks!

Tim

Any of you guys on MLOA still allowed in CASS. I am showing up as a current employee but unauthorized to Jump. I was wondering if it is a TSA thing or your own airline.

Thanks!

Tim

Nope - I'm out as well. From my understanding, after a continuous 30 days of leave or more from your airline (military, sick, uscheduled, etc...) TSA takes you out of CASS. You can still jumpseat on other carriers, but you won't have cockpit access.

Hope this helps.

Have you jumpseated in the back?? The reason I ask is AA stated I wasn't authorized. All they said was that it was strange that I was still on the employee list but not authorized. That will certainly help if we can still JS in the back.

Thanks

Tim

Have you jumpseated in the back?? The reason I ask is AA stated I wasn't authorized. All they said was that it was strange that I was still on the employee list but not authorized. That will certainly help if we can still JS in the back.

Thanks

Tim

You bet Tim...I've j/s'd so far on both DAL and NWA with no problems. Here's the skinny: I walk up to the counter and when I hand the gate agent my passport and my CAL ID, I tell her right off the bat that I'm currently on MLOA and I won't currently be in the CASS system. They'll huff and puff a little but just calmly explain that you can still by letter of the law jumpseat, you just can't jumpseat on the flightdeck. That is 100 percent legal, don't let them tell you different.

The one big problem is you don't have that ace in the hole if the cabin is full. So unless the plane is relatively empty, you're taking a semi-crapshoot. BTW, cookies are definetly not required to make it happen!!! LOL :rolleyes: Just some business casual and common sense will be success enough! Good luck.

Another gotcha. I was on MLOA recently, over 30 days, and tried to JS on Express. Regional carriers in your airlines colors are considered different airlines. JS denied. It was an RJ so it's always full anyway. Just one more reason to get all our flying back to mainline.

I don't know how it would work if your airline owns the regional.

I think it's an airline thing...

I returned from furlough to MLOA and have J/S'd a few times off line with no issues, I pop in CASS have been assigned the J/S once by AA (not my company). Agent said I could sit j/s as long as all seats in the back were taken, which they were.

BTW, once after running late with mil duties and still in mil uniform, I was successful in showing company ID to TSA with military uniform without a boarding pass and made it through security in the nick of time to offline js.

Sounds like alot of inconsistency out there concerning TSA, but that is not suprising. Remember you can waltz right through security after hours in phx since they don't staff it, well they probably do now.

Mileage may vary.....

Lots of inconsistency. I'm on MLA right now....I'm FDX and supposedly out of CASS due to the MLA. I tried to jump on US Airways out of TLH (feeder, not sure which one it was). They couldn't get the CASS working at the gate, but 3-4 FA's were waiting to J/S (pleasure trip, not working) and they wanted to get me on so they had more seats on the next flight. One of the FA's walked to the flight deck and asked the Capt if I could ride in the cockpit. He said "sure." I rode in the cockpit without processing through CASS. In CLT, I was given a boarding pass to ride in the cabin just by showing my company ID.

I think Scrapdog has the best answer. If you have seats in the back, just try to explain to the gate agent that you're not in CASS due to MLA but that you can still ride in the back. Hopefully the Captain will back you up if you get the chance to rap with him.

supposedly out of CASS due to the MLA. ...........I tried to jump .................They couldn't get the CASS working at the gate,................... He said "sure." .................I rode in the cockpit without processing through CASS.

Are you trying to screw it up or all of us.... do you have no concern for the collective? Or what is it? cause I don't get it.. help me understand...

Please call your jumpseat coordinator and have him/her explain how this works...

The TSA does not care if we have jumpseat access. Do not give them a reason to revoke it for all of us!

Last edited:
Are you trying to screw it up or all of us.... do you have no concern for the collective? Or what is it? cause I don't get it.. help me understand...

Please call your jumpseat coordinator and have him/her explain how this works...

The TSA does not care if we have jumpseat access. Do not give them a reason to revoke it for all of us!

Alright you friggin clown, I've had it with you. This was a friendly discussion amongst MIL bro's and being on MIL LEAVE and you barge in and tell us we're "screwing it up" and "we have no concern." Get lost. How in the F are we screwing it up by being on military leave while SERVING OUR COUNTRY and trying to use the jumpseat in a very legal and legitimate way so we can see our families??? You're the screw up. You act like you wrote the book on the jumpseat. No one is impressed with your act. All of us military officers are doing things legitimately, trust me. No one is going to revoke your j/s priveledges for god's sakes. The last thing people like myself, Magnum, Deuce130, Bearcat, etc...would do is harm your freedoms you idiot - on the contrary we're fighting for them. Get over yourself. I know better yet - calm down and go grab a cookie.

Ease up, Rez. An F/A asks the Captain if I can ride in the cockpit, he says yes, I get on the airplane. The option was to say "no thanks, Captain," and not go home. Don't you advocate Captains' authority?

Latest resources

Back