Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

stlflyguy

UL Listed
I'm sure it's been asked somewhere else, but what is the estimated time to Captain at Delta? I received the email to come interview and I'm not sure if I really want to if the time to Captain is too long. If I were in my late twenties, it might not be a factor. Fact is, I'm not and 40 is approaching.

Any info would be great.

Thanks.

stlflyguy

I'm sure it's been asked somewhere else, but what is the estimated time to Captain at Delta? I received the email to come interview and I'm not sure if I really want to if the time to Captain is too long. If I were in my late twenties, it might not be a factor. Fact is, I'm not and 40 is approaching.

Any info would be great.

Thanks.

stlflyguy

I'd go to the interview and change you're attitude before you go. You will wake up one day in you're RJ and wish you were at Delta. You would have 25 years to give to Delta. I don't feel like doing the math but you will make alot more even if you never upgrade.

Compare that to my TEN YEAR PAY that I'll be making when I'm recalled to AA. I didn't mention that before, so forgive me. Even so, it'd take me four years to reach the level of pay I'm at now.

Now can you see why I'm wondering about the progression?

stlflyguy

Last edited:
Plug MD-88 Capt in NYC has a late 99 hire date, ATL is about mid 97 hire.

Last edited:
Compare that to my TEN YEAR PAY that I'll be making when I'm recalled to AA. I didn't mention that before, so forgive me. Even so, it'd take me four years to reach the level of pay I'm at now.

Now can you see why I'm wondering about the progression?

stlflyguy

You got a point, but I'd still go to the interview. Get on with Delta and then make your choice beteween Delta and AA. Either way you are at a major player in the industry. 25 years at a company is a long time. Try not to get caught up in the it will take me 4 years to get back. Look at the big picture (20-25 years) The longer you wait the the more years you give up. It's a great time to get on with Delta. They are hiring about 60-70 a month. They guy told me after the interview they are going to slow down just for late Nov. and I think all of Dec. and then pick back up full swing.

stlflyguy... how far out are you from recall? I ask because I firmly believe we will be through the whole furloughed list by fall/winter 2008 and hiring off the street in 2009. If that holds true, you will be back before the end of next year and pulling in about $108/hr (MD80) or even higher if you pull a 737/767/300 bid in recall class. Also, factor in the fact that you will upgrade under Supp CC (if you choose to do so) in a relatively shorter period of time than usual.

good luck.

Of course, do not forget Delta has a 6-7 year hiring gap. So another way of looking at this is that Delta has three and four year Captains on the MD88.

New York is unpopular. One of the new hires from early in 2007 looked through the advanced entitlement and said there were only 14 pilots with bids ahead of his for M88A in NYC. If (a big IF) Delta gets a dozen or so MD-90's it is possible a 2007 hire could be in the left seat inside of two years.

I can't seem to figure out if Delta is actually growing. There are announcements of new E-190 versions for DCI, but the Delta TOC keeps getting jets ready for lease returns. The E-190 does not have the range, but it will do a lot of what Delta's deferred 737-700 orders would accomplish.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
I was just hired (still in training) and there are currently 39 people senior to me who have a bid in for NYC M88 Captain. I know some people will change their bid when they know they can hold it, but compare that with over 200 senior to me bidding for ATL M88 Captain and you get the picture that not many want to go to NYC. I'd bet we'll see some of the early 07 hires holding it in 09 if they want to go to NYC.

I can't seem to figure out if Delta is actually growing. There are announcements of new E-190 versions for DCI, but the Delta TOC keeps getting jets ready for lease returns. The E-190 does not have the range, but it will do a lot of what Delta's deferred 737-700 orders would accomplish.

there are 2-3 757s, a 767, and 3 88s that may be returned to the lessors. All have been previously announced, so nothing new here. Keep in mind during BK, some aircraft were returned, then the lessors found out they could not do better than what we were paying, so those airplanes came back.

10 757s are coming for sure, with the possibility of 5 more. 6 777s are on firm order as are 10 737-700s. No 737-700 orders have been deferred, though some 737-800 orders have been.

Aircraft will always be coming and going. The aircraft that are going are some of the oldest 757s and 88s. At some point its not worth the cost for all the maintenance requirements unless you get a very good lease deal.

For the record, the shifting of 170s to 175s at Republic is no big deal either. In fact they are only able to do this because the mainline fleet is growing. DCI is limited to 15 76 seaters in 07, with more beyond that based on mainline growth. The MEC is on top of this, they monitor the aircraft coming and going daily. I think our scope sucks, but I give them credit for the job they are doing keeping track of the contractual limits on RJs.

Long story short, Delta is growing. It is not, nor will it ever be, huge growth. But we are growing.

In fact they are only able to do this because the mainline fleet is growing. DCI is limited to 15 76 seaters in 07, with more beyond that based on mainline growth. The MEC is on top of this, they monitor the aircraft coming and going daily. I think our scope sucks, but I give them credit for the job they are doing keeping track of the contractual limits on RJs.

Long story short, Delta is growing. It is not, nor will it ever be, huge growth. But we are growing.
Thank you for the good information. With typical staffing those airplanes would require another 500 or so pilots.

So the DAL flying will remain at least 51%? Will it get higher than 51%?

From what little I know about a MD88, it burns twice the fuel as a 40/50 seat RJ but carries three times the revenue. Seems like MD90" would be even better. Wonder if the market will begin to swing in mainline's favor.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back