• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Caravan PIC time?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What's Caravan PIC time worth? Is it realistic for someone with lets say, 5,000 TT and 2,000 Caravan 135 PIC to be considered by Southwest or whomever else is hiring into big irons nowdays?

P.S. Very low total multi, around 100 or so

I ain't at LUV, but...

I would say it needs to be looked at in light of your overall experience

Applicant A has 1500 TT, with 1000 Caravan PIC, and 500 CFI time

Applicant B has 4000 TT, 1000 Caravan PIC, 800 regional airline turbine SIC, has 500 hrs 727 FE (company shut down: Longhorn), and a hodge podge of CFI, corporate piston twin, skydive, and 135 night cargo time. Total ME is 2000+

I would say "B" has a better chance of being called than "A"

I would be of the opinion that not just "straight total time" is looked at, but the experience obtained from your total time and your exposure to different types of ops (corp, mil, 121 regional, etc etc)

I have a friend who interviewed at Southwest whose only turbine time was from a Caravan, but who had substantial ME piston time and an internal recommendation.

I look at my own Caravan time fondly as it has been the only opportunity I've had to fly single pilot, and I enjoyed every last tenth of it... All alone, over water, one motor, all the decisions are yours. It can provide tons of experience which can be used to tell great stories during an interview.

If you are working toward any particular airline, meet their minimums as published, seek out opportunities to get what they want. And don't even begin to doubt the value of 208 time, there are many lessons to be learned while flying solo...

The only detrement of having all the single engine time is simply being able to do a V1 cut and fly the sim on one engine. If you are worried about it buying some sim time with a good instructor would be time well spent. Don't go nuts one period should be more than enough.

Vladimir Lenin said:
What's Caravan PIC time worth? Is it realistic for someone with lets say, 5,000 TT and 2,000 Caravan 135 PIC to be considered by Southwest or whomever else is hiring into big irons nowdays?

We have guys that have gone to SWA and FedEX. It depends on the hiring mode and what your total package looks like. It also depends on whose Caravan you're flying.

Being low on multi time is going to more detrimental to your job search...but PIC time and getting paid for it is always good...some is just better than others.

Why would it matter who's caravan you were flying? I know that Fedex will NOT hire from it's own feeders. Is that what you were referring to?

im gonna guess here...but ill bet he was referring to flying some clapped out caravan full of jumpers at some obscure airstrip vs. flying (someone like barons) caravans in a well respected 135 outfit ;)

skydiverdriver said:
Why would it matter who's caravan you were flying? I know that Fedex will NOT hire from it's own feeders. Is that what you were referring to?
Wait a minute...you're a CRJ captain and you are interjecting as to whether or not FedEx will hire from it's contractors?

1. There is no flow through from the feeders to the FedEx.

2. Uhhhh...anybody that meets the requirements can apply at FedEx...this isn't Russia or Serbia.

3. If you think you can sit at the feeders for xyz years and then wonder why you can't get hired at FedEx without a bachelor degree, I have a little story for you. Actually, I stole it from Andrew Dice Clay...don't tell him though.

He's on a date with this chick who is a nurse. She says, "But I really want to be a doctor."

Dice asks, "Did you go to school for it?"

She says, "No."

He says, "Then you're always going to be a nurse, you dunce."

Multi time, as opposed to "TJPIC" time

Vladimir Lenin said:

Your total and Caravan (turbine PIC) are fine. Your 135 time is fine. You are extremely light on multi time, and that will be a disadvantage when compared to your competition at Southwest.

You might consider flying for a regional for a while to build your multi. With your other experience you should be able to get a regional job, even with low multi. It'll also be 121 time, which will certainly help your cause.

Good luck with your job search.

Latest resources

Back