• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Can ATC Declare Emergency?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Quite sad because technically we are not allowed to provide priority handeling unless its an emergency...

TWR this is Seminole 44Bravo, we just lost an engine.
Seminole 44bravo are you declaring an emergency?
Negative.
Seminole 44bravo roger, left traffic rwy 14, report on the downwind youll be number 10 for the runway.

Above scenario quite unlikely. Majority of controllers understand the difference between "technically" and "reality", be assured "technically" will take a backseat with 99% of the sharp controllers out there when put in a scenario as mentioned in your response.

I sure hope you don't put "technically" before common sense when you are forced with that in real life.

Vector4fun, nice job- I have seen this practice quite often by many controllers, most will extend the helping hand whenever a pilot may be in need.

3 5 0

...removed...

Last edited:
Lrjtcaptain said:
Some pilots just don't waant to delcare because of fear of FAA intervention, NTSB stuff, and paper work. Quite sad because technically we are not allowed to provide priority handeling unless its an emergency...

TWR this is Seminole 44Bravo, we just lost an engine.
Seminole 44bravo are you declaring an emergency?
Negative.
Seminole 44bravo roger, left traffic rwy 14, report on the downwind youll be number 10 for the runway.

Yeah, this is unfortunate. While you want a balance between serious emergencies, and emergencies where the pilot is over-reacting, it seems the majority of conversation on this topic is not to declare unless death is imminent and this is unfortunate.

I heard of a CFI that ran scenarios across his students, quizzing them if they would declare in that situation. His efforts were actively discouraging his students from ever declaring except for catastrophic situations. Very unfortunate.

Last edited:
Nothing unfortunate about it. If the pilot needs to get the aircraft back on the runway in a rather quickly manner then regardless of whether or not he does declare then the controllers should speed the process up, which usually does take place 99% of the time. Declaring or not, doesn't really matter.. Most controllers will bend over backwards for a pilot that needs the help should he be in a position where he needs to get down asap. It has more to do with common sense, urgency, and doing one's best to aid a pilot who needs help the most. I do not think the above scenario is quite likely as I have previously pointed out. Every single situation that I have seen/heard with regards to inflight problems the controllers diverted all aircraft away and gave the problem aircraft priority regardless of whether or not they have declared the emergency. A few magic words don't mean a whole lot when you look at the big picture. If you need to get down then simply advise atc, cope with the problem, and do your best to get down asap. Not all situations will require you to declare an emergency and it would be foolish to start preaching that any problems one would have then without a second thought he should declare one.

3 5 0

350DRIVER said:
Nothing unfortunate about it. If the pilot needs to get the aircraft back on the runway in a rather quickly manner then regardless of whether or not he does declare then the controllers should speed the process up, which usually does take place 99% of the time. Declaring or not, doesn't really matter.. Most controllers will bend over backwards for a pilot that needs the help should he be in a position where he needs to get down asap. It has more to do with common sense, urgency, and doing one's best to aid a pilot who needs help the most. I do not think the above scenario is quite likely as I have previously pointed out. Every single situation that I have seen/heard with regards to inflight problems the controllers diverted all aircraft away and gave the problem aircraft priority regardless of whether or not they have declared the emergency. A few magic words don't mean a whole lot when you look at the big picture. If you need to get down then simply advise atc, cope with the problem, and do your best to get down asap. Not all situations will require you to declare an emergency and it would be foolish to start preaching that any problems one would have then without a second thought he should declare one.

3 5 0

Yeah, I agree. The perception of ATC to pickup on the pilots problem and clear the way is great. I'm just saying that a lot of pilots reason for not declaring is a fear of getting in trouble and this has cost a lot of pilots their lives, granted they have most likely put themselves in the emergency they find themself in (like fuel exhaustion) and the issue does need to be addressed with the pilot after they are safely down. Just a real delicate balance.

If the circumstances dictate that the situation is indeed an emergency then by all means declare it. The only thing that I am saying is that those magic words aren't going to get the problem aircraft back on the ground any sooner. When human life is hanging in the balance then "fear" of anything else other than death or serious bodily injury or harm shouldn't even be considered or contemplated. The last thing that should ever be on a pilot's mind is the potential of facing possible action against their tickets should they need to declare. Some circumstances and situations dictate it to be a true "emergency", others do not. It is ultimately up to the PIC to make that determination. Anyways, I think the controllers do a superb job handling these situations for the most part and they realize it is better to be down here than up there when something goes sour and south that is not desirable.

ATC will also bend over backwards when you are doing med flights with organs or patients onboard where it is time critical to get to where you need to get to. 99.9% of the time I was cleared direct destination with no delay enroute or upon arrival at the destination airport. Most controllers understand that the dying patient in the back could one day be a family member or that heart or liver that is on it's way could just as easily be for one of their family members.

Latest resources

Back