• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Can ATC Declare Emergency?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We ran into that in southern california the year before last, during the series of fires that ran from south of Sand Diego to past Santa Barbara. SoCal abandoned the facility, and we were in and out of there several times a day with no terminal radar. One person at a time on the approach to LAX, etc. Massive traffic backups, and six hour delay getting out of SNA. If you wanted to reposition anywhere down there, it was VFR, and the visibility was far from it. Lots of private pilots who decided that they were going to go fly anyway...who was going to catch them?

In that emergency situation, ATC had abandoned their facility due to the fire threat...and to be honest, I don't think I ever truly appreciated just what an impact ATC had down there until their services were gone.

Vector4fun said:
Hey, you don't want to see me vector without coffee. It aint pretty.....

Any kewl penalty vector stories????

PropsForward said:
Any kewl penalty vector stories????

ooh ooh ooooooh new forum, I love hearing about things ATC does to piss off pilots...

-mini

*edit*

hmmm....another new one, things pilots do to piss ATC off that makes them to stuff that piss pilots off....

avbug said:
We ran into that in southern california the year before
last, during the series of fires that ran from south of San Diego to
past Santa Barbara. SoCal abandoned the facility, and we were in and
out of there several times a day with no terminal radar. One person at a
time on the approach to LAX, etc. Massive traffic backups,and six
hour delay getting out of SNA. If you wanted to reposition anywhere
down there, it was VFR, and the visibility was far from it.Lots of private
pilots who decided that they were going to go fly anyway...who
was going to catch them?

In that emergency situation, ATC had abandoned their facility due to the
fire threat...and to be honest, I don't think I ever truly appreciated just
what an impact ATC had down there until their services were gone.

So wait, if ATC abandons ship, all that controlled airspace magically
becomes uncontrolled? I was under the impression it stayed controlled
and anyone who wanted in was just S.O.L. But then again, I haven't been
in controlled airspace yet, but I was close! ^_^

Last edited:
dseagrav said:
So wait, if ATC abandons ship, all that controlled airspace magically
becomes uncontrolled? I was under the impression it stayed controlled
and anyone who wanted in was just S.O.L. But then again, I haven't been
in controlled airspace yet, but I was close! ^_^

Here's my understanding of what went down:

When Socal closed, Socal approach was no longer were controlling theirairspace. The airspace is normally delegated to Socal approachfrom the center that has jurisdiction of that area. That airspacewas given back to the center(s). Center radar may not have hadcoverage close to the ground (ie: below a few thousand feet AGL). Since they couldn't operate using radar separation they had to resortto non-radar separation, which has a much less amount of traffic thatit can accomodate in a given period.

How'd I do?

If ATC isn't available, the airspace still remains controlled airspace. (in most cases). Some airspace does change classes, such as D to E. Some airspace reverts to G.

In the case of the activities in the southern republik of Kalifornia, center took over, but with limited functions. It was more like operating in a non radar environment.

pilotman2105 said:
How'd I do?

Wonderful. Controlled is controlled is controlled. Centercontrols is, they just delegate approach to "this" airspace here andthat there, etc.

basically

-mini

Moonfly201 said:
Not sure about the other FAA regions, but here in the Northeast whenever a pilot obtains any type of "priority handling" by ATC, the flight has been automatically declared an emergency by ATC. Those magic "I declare" words need not be uttered by anyone.

So on climbout on a X/C flight, before you ask tower for a return to the runway due to a minor vibration you would like to check out on the ground, and tower gives you priority handling by telling the C-150 on downwind to continue, clearing you for landing, make sure you REALLY need to be on the front of the line. You will be getting contacted by a possibly not so friendly fed. Guaranteed. And if you tell him there was some type of mechanical problem, your A&P is next in line.

I find A&Ps, especially IAs, are perfectly willing to deal with the FAA. It's a part of the job! If yours is scared of the FAA, find a new mechanic.

When I worked at a repair station, half of our mail was inbound/outbound to the local FSDO for Form 337s. We talked to our inspectors almost on a daily basis. Sometimes we had to correct the inspectors as to the proper procedure or policy for whatever repair, sometimes they corrected us. There is a lot more give and take on the airworthiness side of the house.

So, after an emergency caused by a mechanical failure, my airframe mechanic, pilot, and instructor certificates were on the line. So was my passenger's A&P/IA certificates. Even the A&P/IA that did the last annual on the plane had his certificates on the line. The FAA ASIs reviewed the aircraft's paperwork and determined the two mechanics that had worked on the plane had done their jobs and completed the paperwork properly. While there was a remote possibility that I could have found a missing engine bolt on the preflight, they found that I had conducted a proper preflight which did NOT require our getting out the inspection mirror and conducting an annual. The bolt also could have departed inflight, which they would not expect either of us to have found.

All of us were quite happy to not be filling out crash investigation paperwork.

We were still alive.

That's the bottom line. So what if AFRCC is dragging their feet back to the firehouse like the guys in the credit card commercials and you're meeting with the airport manager and news crews. The absolute worst the FAA can do to do is take away your certificates for a year and fine you some thousand dollars. The plane can kill you, or worse; leave you alive, brain damaged and mostly paralyzed, knowing you killed your passengers.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

minitour said:
ooh ooh ooooooh new forum, I love hearing about things ATC does to piss off pilots...

-mini

Mini,

Maximum remedium irae mora est

Lucius Annaeus Seneca, De Ira (II, 28)

Roman philosopher and moralist
(4 BC - 65 AD)

Vector4fun said:
Mini,

Maximum remedium irae mora est

Lucius Annaeus Seneca, De Ira (II, 28)

Roman philosopher and moralist
(4 BC - 65 AD)

uh...I'll show my lack of knowledge here...

I took two years of Spanish and I could probably ask you "what is the name of the toilet" but that's about it...

no comprendo

-mini

Latest resources

Back