Calming down the nerves?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
<snip...>
And maybe other little things that pile on a little pressure like what if there's a plane just a little bit ahead of you on the circuit and how do you space? What I hope when I solo is that the airport won't be busy. The busier, the harder because when its busier, you have to not only talk to tower more, but also be weary of the other traffic. And I worry about things like what happens if I miss the taxiway I was suppose to turn on to and a guy is right behind me? Or what if I'm to high, or low on final? Its all that airport junk that makes me nervous. Does anybody know how this feels?
</snip>

Adam, these are questions that you should be honestly sharing with your instructor. We've all been there before, and she can easily answer all of these questions for you. "Fright Instructors" :D deal with anxiety on a daily basis. It's our job to help you over these hurdles, and it helps immensely when you just come clean and tell us what is bothering you. Yes, we can read minds ;), but it's easier if you just tell her what's going on.

Well, we started doing circuits yesterday so I got a good feel for the landings and radio talk. It was fine for the radio, you actually don't have to say much only doing your downwind call. Its when we would be coming from the practice area entering the circuit that I would get confused and that's when tower would natter more stuff at you. The parts I seem to mess up the most is turning from downwind, to base. Either I'm too high or too low or my speed isn't right, there always has to be something. I'm getting better with the radio, but I am still nervous of annoying my instructor. At times, she sounds annoyed if I did something wrong when she's telling me, yet when were done, says I did very well. I don't know, is it just me perceiving it that way? Its a corrective voice, but it sounds annoyed at the same time. I don't like it when they get pushy either even though its to correct for you. Do you ever notice that people act different on the ground than in the air?

Of course it is different.

The airplane is a stressful environment for a student, and when an instructor makes themselves "heard" over the din, it can sound irritated and angry. Of course, becoming irritated that your student isn't yet doing the one or two simple things that you have asked during the previous six times around the pattern is a possibility, too.

On the ground, ask for a more detailed explanation. No doubt, it will be more calm and less stressed, and perhaps more clear.

What is your instructor telling you the most?

Note: controlling your pitch and power in the downwind, base and final will yield the right rate of descent.

Instructor rhetoric

Originally posted by adam_jorgensen At times, she sounds annoyed if I did something wrong when she's telling me . . . . . Its a corrective voice, but it sounds annoyed at the same time. I don't like it when they get pushy either even though its to correct for you. Do you ever notice that people act different on the ground than in the air?
My instructor acted differently on the ground, definitely.

You're worrying about it too much, my friend. Sounding annoyed is all part of the flight instructor shtik (flight instructors are supposed to be cranky). She isn't really "annoyed." If she's telling you that you're doing fine, you are, and it sounds like you are. Trust me, you're not annoying your instructor. She's just doing her job.

Latest resources

Back