• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Call to Action... Our futures

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I completely agree with this post. We will never see Emirates flying between Miami and LA despite what the US legacy unions say.... Instead, our legacy airlines should aspire to offering much better service and connections. I flew UAL recently to Europe as a pax and the service was atrocious and flight attendants unhelpful. It was embarrassing. Passengers need more choices - that will lead to improved service from all carriers. This protectionism stance is anti-American.

The US legacies need to use the billions of dollars from our inflated baggage fees and invest in better airplanes, better service standards and more responsive flight attendants. That's just the truth...

True...and who is to say that we aren't trying. As for the bad FA attitudes, while they are deplorable, you can thank the lawyers and the "Age Discrimination!" lobby for a lot of that. When is the last time you saw a group of 55yr old + FAs on any Asian or ME carrier? But if the US carriers tried to get rid of all the old FAs, the US lawsuits would be flying immediately.

Further, many pax say they want this, that and the other thing but at the end of the day they want a cheap ticket. Example from the 1990s, but still pertinent today:

A pilot buddy living in ATL had some friends fly from LAX to visit. They could have flown non-stop LAX-ATL, widebody aircraft (back in the time when we did that domestically), meal, movie, arrive in ATL mid-afternoon. Instead they flew LAX-IAH on CAL on a 737, had a four hour airport sit, then another 737 IAH-ATL, no meal on either, etc, all to save...$10!

A pilot buddy living in ATL had some friends fly from LAX to visit. They could have flown non-stop LAX-ATL, widebody aircraft (back in the time when we did that domestically), meal, movie, arrive in ATL mid-afternoon. Instead they flew LAX-IAH on CAL on a 737, had a four hour airport sit, then another 737 IAH-ATL, no meal on either, etc, all to save...$10

What can you do... cheap a$$ people who pay next to nothing as compared to the days of yore, yet still complain they pay too much and don't get a crappy meal. I think the legacy airlines have come a long way since the 911 downturn and now have good options back on the planes. It's not the legacy airlines fault these types of pax are a bunch of whining cheap a$$es.

I completely agree with this post. We will never see Emirates flying between Miami and LA despite what the US legacy unions say.... Instead, our legacy airlines should aspire to offering much better service and connections. I flew UAL recently to Europe as a pax and the service was atrocious and flight attendants unhelpful. It was embarrassing. Passengers need more choices - that will lead to improved service from all carriers. This protectionism stance is anti-American.

The US legacies need to use the billions of dollars from our inflated baggage fees and invest in better airplanes, better service standards and more responsive flight attendants. That's just the truth...

Emirates now flies from Rome to the US direct... so you don't think Cabotage is possible? Wake up man! It's coming if we all have your outlook on it. Right now it's still illegal inside our country, but it's being done outside and guess what? It hurts our industry. Doesn't matter if you fly for JetBlue, Southwest or Delta... it's bad ju ju. Next we'll see Emirates flying the cheaper 737's it gets through the EX-IM Bank (with your tax subsidies at work) from Cancun to Dallas Love... don't think it can't or won't happen... don't be an idiot.

Tail

True...and who is to say that we aren't trying. As for the bad FA attitudes, while they are deplorable, you can thank the lawyers and the "Age Discrimination!" lobby for a lot of that. When is the last time you saw a group of 55yr old + FAs on any Asian or ME carrier? But if the US carriers tried to get rid of all the old FAs, the US lawsuits would be flying immediately.
[...]

Just ask the FAA why the US is the ONLY ICAO country that does NOT require F/As to hold medicals! It's all about "safety"!

Emirates now flies from Rome to the US direct... so you don't think Cabotage is possible? Wake up man! It's coming if we all have your outlook on it. Right now it's still illegal inside our country, but it's being done outside and guess what? It hurts our industry. Doesn't matter if you fly for JetBlue, Southwest or Delta... it's bad ju ju. Next we'll see Emirates flying the cheaper 737's it gets through the EX-IM Bank (with your tax subsidies at work) from Cancun to Dallas Love... don't think it can't or won't happen... don't be an idiot.

Tail

......and there is the post that shows a severe lack of information.

1) Emirates does not operate 737s.

2) Ex-Im makes a profit so how exactly is that "your tax subsidies"?

3) Interjet and Volaris in Mexico only pay 1/3 of the salaries that the Middle East carriers pay and they already fly to the USA.

Again, you are just parroting ALPA's tripe. Do some research and critical thinking for yourself. Don't get suckered into another catastrophically bad strategic move by ALPA or airline management.

Typhoonpilot

Ty... no $hit they don't fly 737's. But my cabotage point is when they get them? Do you know what cabotage is? Look it up. I don't have a problem w/ a country flying from their soil to ours... and go ahead on fly on them, I won't. So they make a profit??? Then, if true makes it even worse... I hope you work for one of the ME3... otherwise you are a complete tool if you don't think this is a big deal... now if you work for one of those companies, I'd expect you to defend your right to cruise Russian hookers in Dubai and hit those Thai FA's on your layovers...

Tail...

Typhoon: I'd like a response from you on this point I made:

"The same industry savagely attacked by a certain region/religion, should not then become dominated by that same region/religion, ever."

I think it's a valid point. Especially if there is anything less than a fully finacially level playing field. US carriers' service is getting better, but still lacking. I get that. But it's not wrong to specifically go after the ME3 obvious $ advantages and dubious geography. Not drawing a line in the sand (pun not intended) and this will stand as a blueprint for the region to take any industry they want to.

A recent letter penned by the UAL and DAL MEC Chairs... Captain Heppner and Captain Donatelli on March 18, 2015. I stick to the facts, not hyperbole.

Fellow Delta and United pilots,

By now many of you have read ALPA President Captain Tim Canoll?s recent letter to the membership titled ?A Deal is a Deal.? If you have not, we urge you to read his March 17th letter. Five years ago ALPA first identified the looming problem Emirates, Etihad, and Qatar Airlines (ME3) would pose to our industry and profession if their subsidized, unbridled growth was left unchecked. That problem is here today and it is our job to fix it!

We believe our industry has finally turned the corner to an outlook of sustained profitability. Our companies? recent success has been built through pilots and other employees working hard in a free market to better compete. We believe in a free and fair market and the opportunity it creates for our airlines globally. These Gulf carriers pose a threat to the free market itself as well as our carriers? bottom lines. That is why we are calling on all of our members to sign our petition demanding the U.S. government enter into consultations with Qatar and the United Arab Emirates on our Open Skies agreements.

These airlines do not compete fairly, where demand determines capacity and the bottom line drives growth. The ME3 have collectively received more than $42 billion in subsidies from their governments in the past ten years. Fueled by this massive infusion of public cash, they have become the fastest growing airlines in the world, stealing our market share, lowering our revenues, and costing us jobs.

The latest front of the ME3?s war against our carriers is our European routes. After entering an already competitive market in 2013, Emirates now accounts for nearly 19 percent of the bookings between New York and Milan. They are currently selling tickets for $799 for two round trip seats on a B-777 and will soon up-gauge to an A380. They are running the flight with only 40 percent load factor. Profits do not matter when your government is willing to absorb any and all losses.

In Asia, in India, and in Europe, our routes and our jobs are being threatened. Even our managements, so often focused on beating each other in the marketplace, have joined together with ALPA and others to fight back against these predatory, market-distorting carriers. Our Partnership for Open & Fair Skies has published a white paper proving the massive, unprecedented subsidies that are now directly impacting U.S. airline industry jobs.

Together, we are calling on all of our pilots to join with their Master Executive Councils (MECs) to engage our government on this issue. Sign the petition, contact your elected officials, and contribute to ALPA-PAC to help fight back against state-owned enterprises subsidizing their way into our markets. Our jobs and industry are under attack by the ME3 carriers. Make no mistake. If left unchecked their actions will cause irreparable long-term harm to our careers. Join with us to demand the U.S. government review the subsidies, begin consultations with Qatar and the UAE, and require these carriers to open their books and play by the rules!
The only way you are ok w/ this issue is if you fly for the ME3. Otherwise your career is in jeopardy. No $hit.

Tailhookah

Last edited:
Sign the petition... donate to the PAC. Don't be stupid... don't believe Typhoonpilot... he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Again, you are just parroting ALPA's tripe. Do some research and critical thinking for yourself. Don't get suckered into another catastrophically bad strategic move by ALPA or airline management.

Typhoonpilot
I guess all those CEO's, Senators, Congressmen and Union Reps who are quoted on the website are all just parroting "ALPA's tripe" also... don't listen to Ty.... he knows not what he's talking about.

http://www.openandfairskies.com/

Tailhookah

PS... ty I am waiting for your retort... show me the "tripe"!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back