CAL insurance problem

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

padusmaximus

I start class in a couple of weeks and I've hit a brick wall trying to get health insurance for the fam. My wife is pregnant so no one will give us insurance except COBRA of course which is 800$ monthly. Any suggestions from you new hires? Please refrain from the obvious choices which include, "grab your ankles" or "go to Fedex".

Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately, you've pretty much answered your own question. Due to my wife's health, nobody would cover us either, so COBRA it was. Almost $900 a month.

here you go

I also had a hard time finding insurance for the family when I was furloughed. My wife got a job at a local bank so we would have coverage then the doc put her on bed rest, full medical coverage and paid long/short term disability. They can't ask you if you are preggers when they hire you, and their insurance covered everything. She had no intention of staying, now 10 years later she's VP of marketing and makes five times what I do. Plus the other benefits of having a 20 year old Brazilian spanker as a nanny, and some Alice like lady from Ecuador who cooks and cleans but doesn't speak a lick of English.
Funny how things work out sometimes.

I don't know if you will fall into this category or not. There is a lot of red tape and piss you off but...
You might qualify for Medicaid, WIC (for sure), and welfare. It was the best insurance I ever had (2003, Florida), except for choosing only certain docs. Since your wife is pregnant she should automatically be covered. It just sucks knowing that you have to go in that line after what you have already sacrificed. If you don't qualify for welfare, I know for sure WIC (free milk, eggs, peanut butter, beans, cheese) and fairly sure of Medicaid. Just find your state's office. Who knows, probably in about six month's or so I'll be seeing you there unless something else happens. Oh well here I go again. So freaking ridiculous.

How long is the wait for insurance coverage - 6 months? Stupid question, but can you can partial coverage for the remainder of the term? I never fully understood these things.

Good luck.

check your local state they may have a program to cover the cost for your wife and child only through medicade. When I went to Cal I did temp insurance for my wife and I and put my kids under MI healthcare program BCBS for $5 a month 100% coverage. You might just have to buy regular insurance not temp insurance, which is cheaper than Cobra, You might pay $300 dollars a month. Get temp insurance for you and regular insurance for your wife through BCBS or something similar.

Medicare and welfare. Aint exactly what I dreamed of flying for a major airline.

Sucks dude. Hope you find a solution that's tolerable.

Gup

Your wife's pregnant....You jump ship from a place that gives you medical....And go to work for someone that offers No medical.......PRICELESS!!!!!!

I also had a hard time finding insurance for the family when I was furloughed. My wife got a job at a local bank so we would have coverage then the doc put her on bed rest, full medical coverage and paid long/short term disability. They can't ask you if you are preggers when they hire you, and their insurance covered everything. She had no intention of staying, now 10 years later she's VP of marketing and makes five times what I do. Plus the other benefits of having a 20 year old Brazilian spanker as a nanny, and some Alice like lady from Ecuador who cooks and cleans but doesn't speak a lick of English.
Funny how things work out sometimes.

Any pix of Alice?:laugh:

Latest resources

Back