• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL cancelling CHQ flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is a start up operation. Yes the job is the same but this is a new A/C for Chq and CAL. We don't have feed problems with DAL but we did have a problem calling in-range, on-times with DAL until you guys "grew up"

The only "Funny" thing about anything is that you guys continue to work without a contract or being combined with your parent company SKW.

Personally I never blocked a single one of your calls to ops, at least on purpose. As far as the ASA pilots working "without a contract", maybe you need to read up on the RLA. I am no longer at ASA, thankfully, but I have more respect for that group of pilots than any other group of people that I have ever known.

And no matter who you are flying for, all you are doing is providing seats. It doesn't matter what is painted on the plane, in fact that is why you guys have some that are "generic". It may be a start up for CAL, but saying that it is a true startup is just not accurate.

Ok, done my reading up on the RLA. Need some clarification, this thing reads way to long. This is what I found

(i) Work stoppages by employees subsequent to carrier offer selected; eligibility of employees for benefits
If the emergency board selects the final offer submitted by the carrier and, after the expiration of the 60-day period described in subsection (h) of this section, the employees of such carrier engage in any work stoppage arising out of the dispute, such employees shall not be eligible during the period of such work stoppage for benefits under the Railroad Unemployment Insurance Act [45 U.S.C. 351 et seq.].
(i) Work stoppages by employees subsequent to employees offer selected; eligibility of employer for benefits
If the emergency board selects the final offer submitted by the employees and, after the expiration of the 60-day period described in subsection (h) of this section, the carrier refuses to accept the final offer submitted by the employees and the employees of such carrier engage in any work stoppage arising out of the dispute, the carrier shall not participate in any benefits of any agreement between carriers which is designed to provide benefits to such carriers during a work stoppage.

I didn't go to law school so I need help understanding all the definitions in the RLA and "why" you must work without a contract.

I didn't go to law school so I need help understanding all the definitions in the RLA and "why" you must work without a contract.

I think I see where you are coming up short on reasoning. Under the RLA, transportation critical contracts never expire, they only become amendable. Hence, there has to be a release from the NMB to a 30 day cooling off period followed by the actual strike should it go that far.

Ok, but how long can the negotiations go on before a release of the contract? ASA has been in said negotiations for years with no amendable agreement. It just seems crazy not to be able to strike after a stalemate for a said given timetable. If you don't call it a strike would a orgnaized "blue flu" be against the law.

Ok, but how long can the negotiations go on before a release of the contract? ASA has been in said negotiations for years with no amendable agreement. It just seems crazy not to be able to strike after a stalemate for a said given timetable. If you don't call it a strike would a orgnaized "blue flu" be against the law.

Probably something that needs to be written into a contract. Although, that could bite the union in the a$$ later on.

Yes, it would be against the law. You have to maintain the status quo during negotiations, otherwise it's an illegal job action. In order to get released to a cooling off period, the mediator has to declare an impasse in negotiations. Getting the mediator to make that declaration is the hard part. Sucks, doesn't it?

The negotiations can go on for as long as the mediator says it can. In ASA's case it has been almost 4 years I believe. And yes, it would be illegal for the pilots to have ANY type of work action, including strike, slowdown, refusing to pick up open time, sickout, etc. Unions get sued, and lose for things like that.

The Jetblue flying we have been doing had less than a week to start up and we have done a pretty good job thus far considering its been out of LGA.

Not bad. You got the state right.

Do your pax and your CA a favor and make sure you check those -9 pages a little more closely.

K? K!

Latest resources

Back