• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cal 75/76

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Where are we getting the 767-400s from? The only other airline the operates the type is Delta and I doubt they are willing to give any up. I hope you are right about the 777s; last I heard is that hiring would be suspended indefinitely.

Actually several -400's from CAL were delivered directly to the desert after CAL modified it's order after 9/11. I've wondered why CAL hasn't pursued these airplanes in their quest for WB lift.

Well, I've been at CAL for just one year now. I can hold 756 IAH, but I'd be on reserve. Granted, when I look in open time...ie (reserves cover these trips for the most part) you'll only see 4 trips for the whole month. But, it's still reserve. In EWR, I held a line in 2 months, but only 12 days off. I don't expect to get more than 12 days off for quite awhile. My friends on the 737 in EWR are hold 16 or so days off right now. I'd say most are staying in EWR to avoid the heat in IAH and reserve. The cost of living is a lot cheaper, but that isn't enough for me to move out there. Also, don't forget about mutual base trades. You can bid with another FO in IAH that wants EWR and if it's not "blocked" you can hold it. There's no time limit and you don't have to wait for the equipment bids.

Taildragger.....are you serious? I don't think that's the case any more since we're very short with wide bodies. Interesting though.....

Hiring strong through the end of May was mentioned a little bit up....that's changed again. Emailed out to a few of us that can't start right away was that there are 2 classes in March, 2 in April and 1 in May. I hope it goes back to each week.

whatitdoing?, how long until your 73EWR friends held a line? Holding one in the 75 after 2 months is much sooner than I would have expected?

I've been on line for about six months on the 737 in EWR. I held a line with in a couple of weeks, just untill the next bid. It maybe different now.

So just to make sure I understand. I could bid IAH 737 the next bid I could bid IAH 75/76 if I could hold it. I couldn't go 75/76 IAH to 737 IAH. Did I get that right?

Thanks again

As with any airline, any bid is only as good as your seniority will allow. Assuming your seniority will allow everything, then yes.....you can always bid UP (737 to 756 to 777, or any type of UP combination) with no delay. However to bid DOWN (777 to 756 to 737, or any type of DOWN combination), that will first require you to complete your 2 year seat lock in current equipment. Hope that helps!

Last edited:
It depends on when you were hired. People that were hired 2 months after me sat reserve 756 in EWR for 6 or so months. I held a line in less than 2 months. My friends that were hired onto the 737 EWR, held a line in 1 or so months. Some guys held 737 IAH out of class, but sat reserve for 6 or so months. IAH is a more senior base. I can hold 756 IAH now after 1 year. If I went to IAH, I'd sit reserve for probably 1 or so more years. This depends obviously how many guys that are senior to me bid 756 IAH. It seems that if you were hired in the beginning or end of the year, you'll hold a line sooner. I'm guessing that has to do with summer slowdown. ie...no one else is getting hired below you.

Ok....bidding. When you're in class, you'll bid a/c type depending on what's offered. You might only have 737 EWR offered. This makes your decision simple. In my class, we had 737 EWR, 737 IAH, and 756 EWR. I bid and "held" 756 EWR. Now, usually twice a year, we have a "system bid". I can't down bid because I'm seat locked from bidding an a/c of lower category. But, I'm NOT seat locked from bidding UP. I can bid 777 EWR, but I can't hold it because of seniority. My friends on the 737 can bid on the "system bid" anytime they want to move to the 756. If there's vacancies and you can hold it, you can bid it. Now, I can finally bid 756 IAH after one year. This is a "system bid" only. I have to wait for the system bids to come out before I can bid. There's ONE EXCEPTION to this. If I have a buddy that's in IAH and sick of the heat, we can "mutual base trade" with each other outside of a "system bid". The base trade is posted for ALL PILOTS to see. The reason is because this effects base seniority. If there's no objections, it will go through. If there is an objection by a fellow pilot, he/she makes it in writing and formally objects. If there's a valid reason, I CAN"T DO IT. Anyhow, you get it?

Well, I've been at CAL for just one year now. I can hold 756 IAH, but I'd be on reserve. Granted, when I look in open time...ie (reserves cover these trips for the most part) you'll only see 4 trips for the whole month. But, it's still reserve. In EWR, I held a line in 2 months, but only 12 days off. I don't expect to get more than 12 days off for quite awhile. My friends on the 737 in EWR are hold 16 or so days off right now. I'd say most are staying in EWR to avoid the heat in IAH and reserve. The cost of living is a lot cheaper, but that isn't enough for me to move out there. Also, don't forget about mutual base trades. You can bid with another FO in IAH that wants EWR and if it's not "blocked" you can hold it. There's no time limit and you don't have to wait for the equipment bids.

Funny, a friend hired over a year ago could not get IAH on the 757/767 on the last bid. Maybe the bid prior, but not the last bid. Are you saying people your seniority are flying it out of IAH or you actually held it on the last bid?

Latest resources

Back