• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
America West Airlines Position PILOT, FIRST OFFICER

(Phoenix, AZ)

REFERENCE CODE:CH-EMP-TTPOSTING NUMBER:04-0284
BRIEF JOB DESCRIPTION:

America West is currently accepting ONLY resumes from individuals interested in becoming an America West First Officer. HOW TO APPLY: If you meet the minimum requirements listed below, submit a resume for further consideration. MAIL: America West Airlines CH-EMP ATTN: Pilot Recruitment 4000 E. Sky Harbor Blvd Phoenix, AZ 85034 FAX: Subject Line: Pilot Recruitment (480) 693-8813 EMAIL: Please do NOT submit resumes via email ***Due to the enormous volume of resumes and inquiries, resumes that do not clearly identify the minimum requirements listed below will be inactived.*** ***Due to the high volume of resume submissions we are unable to provide individual updates and status reports.*** ***Applications will NOT be distributed until review and verification of minimum requirements (distribution dates of applications vary throughout the year and we request your patience as we process your resume).*** UPDATING: Resume updates should only be submitted for: *Change of address*Change of telephone number or contact number*Significant increase in hours*Achievement of type rating or change in current employer ***Please identify your submission as an "UPDATE" for proper processing***

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:

• 2500 Total Hours
  • 1000 Turbine Hours
  • ATP
  • FCC restricted radiotelephone operator permit
  • First class medical
  • Passport
  • College Degree, preferred
  • Referrals from staff pilots weighed heavily

Wiskey Driver said:
Yes we are still backed up on the resume's and getting out applications. There are only so many people in recruiting and even less hours in a day to get it all done. We are short staffed on pilots right now so hiring should continue.

Kathy, we are approved to use the sims in MIA, DEN and France but haven't been doing so lately. I think we may start in the near future though.

WD.
They need to step up the hiring and the use of the SIM's in other places. It was reported on the news here in PHX this morning that AWA has canceled many flights and about 70 pilots' vacations. Not sure what is going on, but they need to get someone who understands the meaning of the word "forecasting." They have always been behind the eight ball in this way. Further, there were always problems with MX in the summer. I hate to see them make the traveling public mad again when they were doing so good.

Kathy

Definitely interviewing...a friend of mine has an interview early next week.

They're hiring like crazy. I had two friends walk in my resume around December, got the app in April, called in May, interviewed early June, class July 26th. Currently I have a friend in training at AWA, and he is doing all his sim work in PHX. No outside sims are being used right now.

Tammy & Tracy were amazing, friendly, and completely swamped with work. I know they're doing the best they can. If hiring is to be sped up, they'll need more help.

When I asked what plane I would be going to, Tammy said I had the choice of Airbus or Airbus. She said for the forseeable future 100% of new-hires are going to the 'bus.

HAL

Last edited:
Does anyone know if they track how quickly you return the original application? Mine came in about two months ago, but between planning a wedding, honeymoon, and flying a 20-day line blocking 95 hours, I haven't had a chance to do the flight time grid and send it in (everything else is done).

Would hate for them to say "You didn't get it in within 30 days so you must not be interested"... Anyone have the skinny?

Good question Lear, I had the same question when I was busy requal training back to the left seat. I managed to get the app sent back a couple of weeks after recieving it, still waiting for the call....

HAL,

Great job! I hear a lot great things about both AWA and the Airbus (I like the side sticks). Plus, despite the serious heat 3-4 months out of the year, PHX is a great place - not expensive like Hawaii.

Does anyone know what's the best way to up-date the mailing address AFTER the resume has been walked in?
It has been about two months and I still have not received the app...
:D

amt said:
Does anyone know what's the best way to up-date the mailing address AFTER the resume has been walked in?
It has been about two months and I still have not received the app...
:D

Do you have an internal LOR?? If not it could take a while to get the app.

WD.

Been pretty quiet for America West posts over the last two weeks here on the Hangar. Here is an update on me:

Dallas AIRINC in January to meet Tracy Takara (stood in that awful line with the other 500 of you guys), worked the system hard and got an application in May, quick turn back to them, and got called last week (about 60 days from my app going in) to come interview in late August (the other date choices were 31 Aug/1 Sep). I know two pilots at AWA who are doing the best they can to help (I know other applicants who have alot stronger inside help than me). I told TB on the phone how excited I was and can't wait to put my best foot forward in PHX – any advice from anyone would be huge and PMs are great. Yes I’ll do Sim prep. So from start to interview it looks like 8-9 month process. Plan early. For us military guys your retirement/separation date creeps up and then your flying stops. Be out there swimming 12-15 months in advance. Good luck to all and I’ll let everyone know how it goes.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back