Build an RV in a T hangar?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

kaisersose

Trying to figure out if this can be done. My wife has been transferred to NYC and I really want to build a plane in my spare time (gonna bid 777fo reserve in EWR for CAL). We are going to live in Manhattan and I expect I will fly 6-10 days a month. I would rather buy a house but her situation really requires living in the city and with this industry the way it is we have to keep her career a top priority for now. I was thinking of getting a t hangar in north Jersey or even HPN. I have no idea how much they cost or if they even have power.

Any info appreciated. I have not flown GA in more than 10yrs so I am way out of touch.

Thanks,

Kaiser

I think it is possible, if you can get the airport manager to agree. Hanger space is at a premium in the NJ area and most airports have a waiting list. Even then there pretty pricey, I've heard a min of $300 up to $500/ month. I live in NYC and have been flying in NJ for years. You can PM me if you need any info. Good luck

Last edited:
If you can find a hanger, then it should be no problem.

You'll need power, and heat, but you'll have all the space you need. Van's specifly says that a two car garage is plenty untill you are nearly complete and need to haul it to the airport.

There's a guy building an RV-8 in his garage here in my home town right now. A T-hangar should be no problem as long as you've got power. At least you wont have to mess with transporting it to the airport when it's finished!

Thanks for the info guys. Still trying to get it from an idea to reality. Will be going to training in Feb and moving in Mar. I'll have to go drive around and do some hangar flying to get a feel for the area. Probably a good idea to join EAA and chat with some who have done it or doing it now.

KS

Another Option-

Get on the RV builders group for that area. I'll bet that there is more than one guy who is either building one (or is building one for someone else) who has space, heat, tools, experience and companionship and would rent you some space at his place. It solves all the problems that you're going to encounter. Just check on Van's website for contacts. That's what I'd do.

Good luck!

UAL78 said:
Get on the RV builders group for that area. I'll bet that there is more than one guy who is either building one (or is building one for someone else) who has space, heat, tools, experience and companionship and would rent you some space at his place. It solves all the problems that you're going to encounter. Just check on Van's website for contacts. That's what I'd do.

Good luck!

That sounds like the way to go if I can find someone like that. I will look into it. I think I might also buy some rats, put them in my pocket and let them out every time we look at an apartment. Maybe she'll beg for a house with a 3 car garage and workshop.

Thanks all for the advice and wishes of luck. I need a ton of both.

KS

We are building 2 cozy mark 4's. One day a week. We started out in a basement. Built most of the parts there, tub, wings, installed and then removed fixed main landing gear.

We simply cut a hole in the floor of the family room floor to remove the parts from the basement.

went to the 3 car garage for a year and now in a big shop we built.

Parts is parts is parts - build em whereever you can.
http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net/showthread.php?t=505

see post 1 on where to build
post 5 and 6 for what a basement looks like with almost all the parts for 2 planes in it

Building an RV in a hanger? That's how it's done. I started with the empennage at home and got far enough along on the fuselage in one side of my 2 car garage to get it enclosed. Moved the project to the hanger and finished it up this past spring. Every hanger I've seen has had power to it to run an overhead light and couple of outlets. That's all you need and a fair amount persistence. It took me 18 months using a quickbuild kit from starting the empennage to first flight. The hardest part is getting started. After that, your focus on the project will help you find solutions to the numerous hurdles along the way. Good luck!!

By the way, it's well worth it. My RV-7A flies great!!

Latest resources

Back