Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Boeing Looks at 90 seat RJ...737 Successor on the way.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Novel idea. http://www.embraercommercialjets.com/english/content/ejets/emb_190.asp

I think Boeing should have jumped on this wagon (even in a small scale) 5 years ago. It just seemed like they were too stubborn(?) to accept that aside from the 737 there was a need for a smaller guage aircraft. Unfortunately, the market for the 70-90 seat airplanes may prove to be even smaller than the 50-seat market (which is now in a decline). It may be too late for Boeing to rely on its name to push a "not-very-innovative-anymore" product.

I think Boeing saw the 717 (effectively 100 seat jet) get hammered and probably didn't see the demand in that capacity market. Now, they might reconsider...

I read or heard that either Gary or Herb (SWA) went to boeing and asked for a "737" version of the 787...

I don't remember where I read it....

I think Boeing saw the 717 (effectively 100 seat jet) get hammered and probably didn't see the demand in that capacity market. Now, they might reconsider...

The 717 wasn't hammered. It is a good product from the Douglas days that was undermarketed by Boeing. Now the line will be shut down. Boeing has always favored the 737 over the 717.
The 717 is a 125 seat jet. I dont see anybody except maybe Midwest that has configured them for 100 and under. The 717's I've flown were configed at 125 seats.
The revenue seat mile vs. a 50-80 seater RJ on the 717 was cheaper at my airline. The only a/c that could give the 717 a run for it's money was the EMB-170. But the 717 could still compete against them.
It's too bad that the 717 was not marketed for a 100 seat version.

Headfake14 said:
I read or heard that either Gary or Herb (SWA) went to boeing and asked for a "737" version of the 787...

I don't remember where I read it....

Gary has said in numerous interviews in the last year that SWA intended to work with Boeing (and I assume explore Airbus too... although I just don't ever see that happening) to get a new next generation aircraft primary to help with fuel efficency. He also has mentioned the 787 and that he felt the technologies in it were effective and something we might want in a future 737 sized plane, but at least now we get to see how it works on the 87.

Erndogg said:
The 717 wasn't hammered. It is a good product from the Douglas days that was undermarketed by Boeing. Now the line will be shut down. Boeing has always favored the 737 over the 717.
The 717 is a 125 seat jet. I dont see anybody except maybe Midwest that has configured them for 100 and under. The 717's I've flown were configed at 125 seats.
The revenue seat mile vs. a 50-80 seater RJ on the 717 was cheaper at my airline. The only a/c that could give the 717 a run for it's money was the EMB-170. But the 717 could still compete against them.
It's too bad that the 717 was not marketed for a 100 seat version.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but TWA launced the thing with 111 seats with 2 classes of service. (I think).

Great airplane, and I agree it was undermarketed.

Last edited:
“He also has mentioned the 787 and that he felt the technologies in it were effective and something we might want in a future 737 sized plane”

Some one told me the NG’s deigns were influenced by what southwest wanted.
Could you imagine a 787 with toggle switches and a oven timer on the overhead?

holdon said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but TWA launced the thing with 111 seats with 2 classes of service. (I think).

Great airplane, and I agree it was undermarketed.

Well, ValuJet was supposed to be the launch customer but we all know the story and AirTran was the first customer to take delivery in the fall of 1999 with 117 seats. A great airplane, I've flown it for a couple of years before swiching to the 737. Except for the wing and the engine, I found the 717 to be an overall more user friendly product. I still find the 73 noisy and I have a hard time getting stuff out of my bag. Why is it behind me....
/Citrus

I'll have agree, the 717 got a raw deal on the marketing side. Airlines approached Boeing on a possible 717-300X, but Boeing would not hear of it. It was focused on selling more 737's.

Latest resources

Back