Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Wiskey Driver

Return of the Hub Raider
I just read the fly for food web site and was not encouraged by the interview stories. The overall majority of the candidates fail the interview process? I certainly hope that this is not the case as it would be a shame to travel halfway around the world to not get the job. Don't get me wrong here as many don't get offered jobs but the numbers I saw were staggering. Please tell me/us that this is not the case ANYMORE.

WD.

I wouldn't be surprised. The recruiters from the session in LA said even though they need pilots and are recruiting they still "select" the best qualified. They also said DECs had a very low pass rate.

I wouldn't be surprised. The recruiters from the session in LA said even though they need pilots and are recruiting they still "select" the best qualified. They also said DECs had a very low pass rate.

Don't get me wrong here Sioux as I firmly believe in the best people getting the positions but 3 out of 10 or 4 out of 10 that's a huge fail rate for interviews! I also read where they stuck a guy in a 777 sim and that too is ok as when I was hired by AWA I was put in a 737 sim and they had us do some instrument work and checking our scanning ability. I read where they had this guy doing V1cuts???? How can this be unless he knew the 777 and knew the Emirates proceedure? To me this seems designed to fail however I could be wrong.

Maybe this is the accepted practice in other parts of the world and we over here are just behind the times. I know that this could be the case and if it is then all please forgive me as I just didn't know. I like Emirates and what they have to offer and who knows maybe I will get on there soon too if I could just get these log books up to date.

WD

Keep reading wiskey, there is a lot of stuff on the web about the EK interview. It is selective, and you will get a V1 cut with a hand flown return to minimums with a missed approach.....in a B-777 or Bus. The sim ride is pretty important from what I understand.

That said, they pay your way over there so enjoy a free trip with nothing to lose. I interviewed recently and maybe spent $100 of my own, and that was on beer. It all sounds pretty daunting when you read about the interview, but it is not too bad.

Last edited:
Keep reading wiskey, there is a lot of stuff on the web about the EK interview. It is selective, and you will get a V1 cut with a hand flown return to minimums with a missed approach.....in a B-777 or Bus. The sim ride is pretty important from what I understand.

That said, they pay your way over there so enjoy a free trip with nothing to lose. I interviewed recently and maybe spent $100 of my own, and that was on beer. It all sounds pretty daunting when you read about the interview, but it is not too bad.

Granted! I thank you for your reply as well. I know I am being way too critical about what they do. I am just suprised that a v1 cut would be on the interview and whose proceedures do you use? I know AWA/USAir's proceedure in the bus on the v1cut but do I do that with our call outs? or would I just wing it? Ok now i just confused myself:nuts:

WD

I did the interview in July. You do a V1 cut in the sim using your procedures from your company. The FO or CA you are flying with will adjust to your companys procedures. He will raise flaps as needed and lower flaps as needed for the aircrafts speed. I thought the sim was the hardest part of the interview. Chair fly a ton and you will do fine. In my class 6 guys made it out of the 9, which is a high percentage from what I understand. I think the average is somewhere around 50 percent that make it through. Good Luck. Do a search for a post "Facts and Opinions on Emirates Airlines" in the majors section, it has a lot of good information about Emirates if you are considering coming here.

Is it true that if you pass the sim its almost guaranteed that you'll get the job? I heard a percentage of about 90%. I did the sim in ATL, now i'm waiting to go to dubai.

Hey wisky driver don't sweat the sim, just do your company call outs and you'll be fine. I did the sim with a guy from Air wis his first name was Andy can't remeber his last name. Do you know him?

If you are currently flying a highly automated jet then I would advise to go get some sim time in a Frasca or similar sim. If you can get into a 737, 757, A310, B777 then all the better. Just something to get a good scan pattern going again. The profile is out there and would be a good thing to practice. That said, the actual hand flying is only one component, they also want to see CRM and decision making demonstrated to a high standard.

TP

Is it true that if you pass the sim its almost guaranteed that you'll get the job? I heard a percentage of about 90%. I did the sim in ATL, now i'm waiting to go to dubai.

Hey wisky driver don't sweat the sim, just do your company call outs and you'll be fine. I did the sim with a guy from Air wis his first name was Andy can't remeber his last name. Do you know him?

I am not too stressed about a simple sim ride I just thought it was strange that you get a v1 cut in an interview.

No I can say I know Andy by first name only but I have been gone from Air Wis for a long time.

WD

Just did the interview. The sim ride, I thought, was the easiest part of the process. It's just an airplane, fly it like one. Fly it with the call outs you would use on a check in yours. Very straight forward, no surprises. Just do pilot sh1t and you'll be fine with the sim.

Dick

Latest resources

Back