Been turned down at SWA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's about enough of this thread!

For those of you who provided some thoughtful advice and insight, I thank you. I am still not convinced what shot me down at the board, but I will definitely inquire. I am refocused on regaining my currency, and see myself reapplying next January.

I guess every forum without exception has individuals that just want to bash, disagree for the hell of it, and otherwise rant. While it can occasionally be humorous, usually it is more like the spam that fills up my e-mail inbox--meaningless trash that I have to wade through in order to find the other more substantive posts. I find it especially ironic that someone could log on to a message board, flame everyone around them, and then claim that they want to work for the most people-oriented airline in the industry! PRICELESS!

SFR said:
But, I am right about it. If 9-11 never happened, how many of you would be applying to SWA......not many at UAL, DAL, USAir, etc.

Right ON!!!!!

If UAL never furloughed me, I would have NEVER applied at Southwest.

Before I worked at UAL, I thought SWA would have been a GREAT place to work. I mean - who wouldn't?! But, UAL called me first and once you start getting a few people below you on the seniority list, you start looking toward the future. You can't play "what-if" your whole life. I was at UAL and I was planning for the future.

But 9/11 and my subsequent furlough taught me a valuable lesson. Job security is more important than anything else. Pilots have a VERY hard time finding work in other $career$ fields.

I have no desire to go back to UAL. If SWA hires me, my resignation letter to UAL will be from the heart. Not a letter of I-resign-but-please-hold-on-to-my-phone-number....

Just because UAL hired me first doesn't mean that I wouldn't make an OUTSTANDING example of a Southwest pilot! I plan on dedicating the rest of my airline career to flying Canyon Blue jets. Hopefully SWA will feel the same when I interview next month.

Help from your brothers and sisters

If you want career help logged onto the UAL Compuserve Forum, there are certain pilots on there that are helping their brothers and sisters for no charge. PM me if I can help.

Frats,
Humble

I just wanted to add, in spite of all the flame, that a good buddy of mine had exactly the same thing happen to him. Turned down SWA for UAL in 2000, on the street, interviewed in april, got his letter last week. His close friend went to the DB guys, who said straight up they weren't going to hire him 'cause he walked away from SWA previously. This in spite of a thumbs up from the interview guys. So it would seem that you were screwed from the get-go, and they were just jerking your chain. Truly, though, I'm really sorry that they would do that, and it makes me wonder what kind of company it's turning into. We're probably going to be hiring like crazy later in the year, so keep an eye on us. Best of luck...

SWA Feedback

Just a note....

SWA in the past has provided feedback to unsuccessful candidates but due to the fact that the feedback was very limited and the recruiters had to be very careful on what they said for legal reasons they have decided to stop providing it.

I wouldn't spend a lot of time on why you weren't successful - you will simply never know.

If you really want to fly for SWA then reapply as soon as possible, stay current and be prepared.

I think that this is a really tough turkey to fry.

I would hate to believe that we would interview somebody who was a definite turn down. I mean what a waste of time/money not to mention the stress it causes on the person actually interviewing. With that being said.....

I think human nature probably kicks in just a little. If I was an interviewer, I would do my best to try and be as objective as possible. But, If I saw that someone was already hired at SWA and turned it down to go to company X, then there would already be two strikes against the interviewee in my mind. I bet the rest of the interview would have to be a moon shot for a thumbs up from both the 3 interviewers and the DB.

I always wanted SWA but lived in the motor city for a job in a previous life. I only applied at NWA and SWA. NWA interviewed me first and shot me down. If you think I wouldn't have took evil red if they called me first your nuts. :) I interviewed about two weeks later at SWA and had the good fortune to get lucky enough to get hired.

If I had offers on the table at SWA and NWA at the same time I would have definitely taken SWA. No hindsight, just where I really always wanted to be.

I would imagine that turning down any job offer definitely greatly diminishes the interviewees chances at ever getting hired again. I am sure that some make it through but only on a home run.

I hope that all furloughed guys and gals find work soon. I hope that the right furloughed folks make it past the SWA interview process and become a part of this great company. The interview teams have done a very fine job of hiring a bunch of great folks to fly with. Like everyone, they make mistakes. Afterall, they hired me and have turned their backs on some great ones. But at the end of the day, they have done a great job over the years.

I wish everyone searching for happiness the best of luck!

Cyaaaaa

Oak

FatesPawn,

Good post, right on the money. Good luck on your upcoming interview.

UAL,

Sorry you were not selected, I have close friends who have experienced both outcomes of the SW interview so I have an idea of what you are going through.

I think that is is rare and admirable that the people department is available for this type of post interview insight, I say take full advantage of it. I was recently turned down (albeit at a regional) in favor of several candidates with 1/3 of my experience (which isn't saying all that much) and like you, felt like I did all the right things. I wish I could call them and figure out what went wrong, but like many others, they tell you explicity to not follow up.

Best of luck to you, and now my 2 cents. I think that persons who say the furloughs should not be interviewed/hired first are quite simply envious. I realize that I would be more competitve if today's market was not flooded with experienced furloughed airline pilots, but that is no reason to be bitter. You and many others like you are not to blame, it is just the reality of the situation. Why wouldn't an airline prefer to hire a furloughed pilot from another major? You guys are more of a known entity and understand the ins and outs of the business. Sorry for myself and all the other wannabees but that's the way it is today. We are all in this mess together.

Again, just my 2 cents...

Why wouldn't an airline prefer to hire a furloughed pilot from another major?

It is a matter of not wanting to import cancer. Not saying that all fuloughees are bitter by any means, but the chances sure seem to be higher of getting someone who is bitter if they have already been burned once by another airline.

BHS......nope

BHS,

i'm amused you can read between the lines so well. actually, you're quite wrong, but nice try though. i think it's the guy 's currency, but you cannot armchair quarterback your career especially after 9/11. you have to make something work!

Why waste time debating who is better suited to be hired. Face it, there are pools of pilots, ....furloughed, civilian, guys leaving the military, etc. The few companies that are hiring are selecting people from all groups.

Present yourself as an individual eager to work and help the company grow. Any whiff of entitlement you have due to being a furloughed, civilian or military pilot, the HR folks will smell....and you will be not be hired.

Just the way it is.

EB

Latest resources

Back