Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Otto77

Snacko
Just curious if you fly with any military pilots? I'm going through pilot training now with the AF reserves and was looking into possible getting into corporate aviation while flying in the reserves. I would have low time but we are typed in the Beech400 after flying the T-1 (mil version). Would I be able to find and get on with an operator as an F/O with any problems? Just wondering how much having the type and experience flying the jet would help ? Any and all advice appreciated! Thanks

Time in type and the rating will help, but most corporate insurance policies will have to get you named and approved since you will not meet open pilot mins.

It can be done if the operator wants it. You will just require some differences training since the avionics are quite different.

And of course you will have to learn to listen to the line line guys complain about fueling it. (Since we dont have the single point that you do):bawling:

400A said:
And of course you will have to learn to listen to the line line guys complain about fueling it. (Since we dont have the single point that you do):bawling:

You want to hear complaining, fly a straight ole 400 where they have to get up on the pylon to fuel it.

To ad to what 400A said, I think your biggest obstacle will be the reserve flying. Most Beechjet operators are a single plane, single crew operation, making it difficult and expensive to find replacements to cover the time while you are gone. It may only be one weekend a month but they still have to have the coverage for pop up trips even if nothing is scheduled.

Last edited:
Probably the place that would be most likely be able to absorb a reserve guy would be either a larger flight department or a fractional. It is illegal for a prospective employer to discriminate against a reserve/guardsman for purposes of employment. Having said that, the reality is as stated above. The boss may decide that a reserve guy may not be a good fit when considering the state of world affairs these days.

I've flown with T-1 guys, and they all seemed fine. There is a bit of difference in the overhead panel I understand as to switch orientation (don't know for sure, all heresay) and the avionics maybe different. Neither one would be show stoppers.

You may want to consider advertising as a contract pilot. We use them occasionally, and that way you could gain experience and a few hours on the corporate side of the house. A type rated copilot is more marketable than someone without jet experience trying to do the same gig. Some operators will use a low time pilot with a local checkout vs. sending a guy to a qual course such as Flight Safety or Simuflite, as long as the insurance will permit it. Reason: They don't have to pay them much. I don't agree with that concept, just putting it out there.

Last edited:
guys I appreciate all the insight so far!

PHX767,
Id def. look at the possibility of fractionals but wouldnt have the time necessary initially outta UPT to apply..that is why I was looking more at the chance of getting on with a corporate outfit that might slide more on min. times etc..of course I'm not overlooking the fact that networking is everything in the corporate world.

anyone else ?

Something else to be aware of. If you hire out as a contract pilot, you have to be incorporated. (I think that is the way they put it.) If you are not, the company who hires you an a "contract" basis, MUST withold income tax, and SS, etc... In other words, you must be treated like any other employee. You will have to fill out a W-4 and the whole bit. If the compnay that hires you, can't prove you are incorporated, and they don't withold taxes, they are guilty of tax evasion. So sayeth the infrenal revenue service.

I'm having a round with my Chief Airman Deluxe right now over that subject. When he found out about it, he said we can't take vacations any more. When I saw he was serious, I said, "OK, We need to renegotiate my pay and benefits."

That's way off the subject, but not many people know it yet. I jsut didn't want you to be surprised.

coloneldan said:
Something else to be aware of. If you hire out as a contract pilot, you have to be incorporated. (I think that is the way they put it.) If you are not, the company who hires you an a "contract" basis, MUST withold income tax, and SS, etc... In other words, you must be treated like any other employee. You will have to fill out a W-4 and the whole bit. If the compnay that hires you, can't prove you are incorporated, and they don't withold taxes, they are guilty of tax evasion. So sayeth the infrenal revenue service.

I'm having a round with my Chief Airman Deluxe right now over that subject. When he found out about it, he said we can't take vacations any more. When I saw he was serious, I said, "OK, We need to renegotiate my pay and benefits."

That's way off the subject, but not many people know it yet. I jsut didn't want you to be surprised.

Tell the chief ding dong to use Jet Professionals or some other service instead of calling someone directly. This will take care of your problem.

Dan,

I fly a good bit as a contract dude, am not incorporated and have not heard that slant before.

I receive a 1099 from each company I contract with . It shows no taxes withheld. It lists my fee as "non employee compensation." I can't see how that would be tax evasion.

Do you have a reference in the oh so easy to read tax code where this may be found? Does the NBAA have anything on it?

Do you pay quarterly income tax on the Contract work? Something that some contract guys don't look at is what the state requires. I was audited by the state and then they kicked it to the IRS. I got a letter and was advised I needed to pay quartely income tax since the employers were not withholding any taxes. I have some information on an article from NBAA on independent contractors I need research. I would talk with a tax guy and get some advice. I never want to go through that again.

Latest resources

Back