Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

d328pilot

flying in asia
I will be taking the BATS test later this month and I wondered if anyone could recommend something that would kind of help me prepare. Maybe some places online that offer something similar to the BATS.

Not really anything out there. It's a pretty wacky test, everything from having a bunch of numbers flashed at you on a screen, and you have to write them down 10 seconds later, to having to keep a "gunsight" on a circle moving around using two joysticks (one is only up and down, the other left and right), etc, etc...

I don't know of any way to prepare, but if you have decent hand-eye coordination, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I would recommend taking the AFOQT and BAT (PCSM) on different dates, just to give your brain a rest in between.

Good luck.

I took it in August. Best thing you can do is be well rested. A few guys recommend playing video games in the days prior, and that may help. Here's the most comprehensive info you're likely to find online: http://www.baseops.net/bat/

Just concentrate and push through it. It's pretty strange, as has been stated. Stay focused, as it comprises a rather significant portion of what will be your PCSM score.

Good luck.

In my opinion the bat test is a waste of time. Had a second chance to take it in pilot training and was actually able to see the results. They basically said I'm uncoordinated!

kc135ang said:
In my opinion the bat test is a waste of time. Had a second chance to take it in pilot training and was actually able to see the results. They basically said I'm uncoordinated!

Well, you are a tanker pilot...J/K. :beer:

Clean kill on that one !!!

I remember when I took it, the joy-stick's were angeled outward just so slightly that it ended up being a very un-natural hand position and was akward to make consistant movements. Combine that with the reversal of the controls and it gets frustrating. Maybe there all set up that way, or my station needed to be fixed. I guess it doesnt matter now, my PCSM score said I had the math/verbal level of a second grader and should never be flying aircraft. Ah, oh well. I guess I fooled them! (my scores wernt that bad, just a little exaggeration). I thought those tests wernt terribly accurate either. Like for the AFOQT, they take a combination of things that arent related to aviation, and then come up with a "pilot" score to ruin your chances at the boards (just a little tiny wee bit of bitterness still remains to this day, but thats ok, im good to go now!)

I knew from the beginning that I was going tankers being in the ANG. By the way I finished at the top of my class and was offered 38's but decided to stick with the more laid back approach to flying. I can also get up in flight to take a leak, stretch, and eat at will. When was last time you tried that? By the way you guys can't get any where with out the tanker! Now let's all get along!

kc135ang said:
By the way I finished at the top of my class and was offered 38's but decided to stick with the more laid back approach to flying.

I have a question about this. Is this to say that you can track 38's and then go on to 135 school or C-17 school or whatever? How often does this happen? Obviously it would only happen to Guard/Reserve guys, right? I know everybody used to go 38's back in the old days. Just curious, thanks.

Jafar said:
I have a question about this. Is this to say that you can track 38's and then go on to 135 school or C-17 school or whatever? How often does this happen? Obviously it would only happen to Guard/Reserve guys, right? I know everybody used to go 38's back in the old days. Just curious, thanks.
Yes, 38 guys can go to cargo/tankers without going through the T-1. Usually it only happens if they wash out of IFF or RTU (they will never get a heavy assignment out of UPT). Some guard/reserve tanker and cargo guys used to get to go through the 38 and then to their follow on training, but those days are gone. I already tried! :cool: Once you set foot in the T-1, your fate is sealed for the rest of your career.

Latest resources

Back