B777 Captains

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's Chinese FOQA.

Sounds like the difference is that the Chinese use it as a tool to short you $$. I think I'm beginning to get a little more insight as to why Asiana crash happened (I know it's Korean vs Chinese..but I suspect similar "punishment culture")

Sounds like the difference is that the Chinese use it as a tool to short you $$. I think I'm beginning to get a little more insight as to why Asiana crash happened (I know it's Korean vs Chinese..but I suspect similar "punishment culture")

Well it's really just cultural. The Chinese teach that learning comes from punishment. You break one of their rules regardless of the reason...Bam! We on the other hand ask why, what was the reason. Was there a purpose to your action? Ok, don't do it again.
Asiana. Again a big operating environment difference. I can only speak of China but here it is virtually unheard of to fly a "visual approach". If you say to the controller I have the airport and the runway in sight he will be confused as to why you said that. In the U.S. That's code for I want a visual approach. Now you couple that with the GS out of service as was the case in SFO and disaster is waiting to happen for the Asians. Sad but true.
It's fun to watch their heads spin when you tell them how in ORD you might do a side step to another runway or be asked to S-turn on final for spacing or after t/o give me a left 270. Lol

There is an additional compensation of an extra $2,000/ month paid in a yearly basis, so that is $13,000/ month @80 hours for a rate of $162.5/hour. If you take DAL highest rate @255/ hour and take away state and federal taxes, and your hourly rate will be what. Around $175 or so? And that is after you reach the captains position with over 12 years invested in the company.

This salary package will be net with taxes paid in the domicile country at a higher rate than in the US so you will be filing under the double taxation condition, and walking through the door on day one, not after what? 18 years to the left seat of a T7 at DAL? when you see it that way! it is a pretty competitive salary package.

Disclaimer...., before the idiosy starts! I'm NOT in any way saying that this is an alternative to a career at ANY major in the US, if you are young enough to start at a legacy and are lucky enough to get some seniority under your belt, that is the most secure and profitable way to go. But I can also see how some guys would be interested in jumping to the opportunity of some of these reverse roster contracts that are popping up here and there...!

Expats pay US taxes for earnings above 97.5 k per year per IRS
Do your figures again now

Expats pay US taxes for earnings above 97.5 k per year per IRS
Do your figures again now

104k actually...! Been doing it for a decade sniper, I suggest that you actually inform yourself as to what is the difference between tax exemption (how you would file if you didn't have a tax liability at the host nation) and how will the non-double taxation work if the company paid your taxes! That way you won't sound as uninformed as you did!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back