AWA/USAir Merger Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

eddie

Maybe someone would be willing to help clarify a couple questions I have. These are real questions, so please keep the flames to a minimum, I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings.

Have there been other mergers that set a precident regarding furloughees inclusion on a new seniority list?

I can't quite grasp the idea that someone who was furloughed and really had little hope of ever flying a USAirways jet again can now expect to be placed anywhere but the bottom of this new seniority list. Regardless of when they were hired. If we talk about "career expectations" and I put myself in the shoes of a USair furloughee, my expectation before the merger would have been that I needed to get hired at a different airline.

Does the arbitrator use the ALPA merger guidelines as his guide through the merger decision?

If not where does he base his conclusions?

Thanks in Advance.

uhhh?

Maybe someone would be willing to help clarify a couple questions I have. These are real questions, so please keep the flames to a minimum, I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings.

Have there been other mergers that set a precident regarding furloughees inclusion on a new seniority list?

I can't quite grasp the idea that someone who was furloughed and really had little hope of ever flying a USAirways jet again can now expect to be placed anywhere but the bottom of this new seniority list. Regardless of when they were hired. If we talk about "career expectations" and I put myself in the shoes of a USair furloughee, my expectation before the merger would have been that I needed to get hired at a different airline.

Does the arbitrator use the ALPA merger guidelines as his guide through the merger decision?

If not where does he base his conclusions?

Thanks in Advance.

Uuuuummmmm.... Yeah.... Does anyone else care to answer this guy?

He should be using ALPA Merger Policy exclusively, however, he has carte blanche to do as he pleases, including violating the existing Transition Agreement like the previous arbitrator did in the E190 decision.

As far as furloughees gaining a seniority number ahead of currently-employed pilots I really don't know -- but if it has happened you can count on the USAirways guys letting Nicolau know about it this week.

I guess all the America West pilots furloughed had little chance of ever flying a jet again, so did the United pilots on furlough. Every dam legacy carrier furloughs pilots some time during their time. A furlough is part of your career progression. Some get lucky, but usually most pilots have a furlough some time in their career. Just ask some senior UA pilots on the 747-400 on how long they were on furlough. That did not mean the end of their career.

Some younger pilots do not understand, that just because you are furloughed, it does not mean you do not have expectations of flying the highest paid equipment. I was hired at 27 and spent 4 years on furlough and now I am Capt. on the 320 based in ORD and could hold 767 international Ccapt. So as you see, a furlough does not mean the end of the world.

Peace
Marty

That's all good Marty, but AAA was 2 weeks away from CH7 - the only career expectation they had was the unemployment line.

Kinda like America West and Continental early 90's.

Or Chrysler or Delphi.

Sorry to interrupt your back-and-forth but perhaps this can be settled by simply stating that "career expectations" is a subjective opinion and that's why a neutral is making that determination.

Kinda like America West and Continental early 90's.

Your response makes no sense at all as those furloughed back then weren't jockeying for position on someone else's seniority list. The ONLY reason the furloughed guys at AAA have any expectations left at this airline is because of the aquisition by AWA. Big Big difference there.....

Latest resources

Back