AWA or Frontier???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
stillflyn said:
I would be a little worried about F9 slugging it out with UAL while they are still in ch. 11. If UAL had to play in the real world I'd give F9 a better chance. I might not have all my facts in line but I don't think that F9 has made a profit in over a year.

On to another topic... what airline do you think Frontier is going to merge with?

I think F9 is in a great position in spite of UAL's BK status and irrational business practices. F9's balance sheet is strong and the trends vs UAL are positive. Keep in mind, all the hype about TED gaining marketshare in DEN is smoke and mirrors because they are taking that marketshare primarily from their own mainline. Watch the next couple of quarters. Things are about to get exciting.

Now, on to the more interesting topic. I don't think F9 is interested in any merger activity, however, I think they will participate in one or more code-share agreements with some International carriers. When the consolidation time comes some good partners might be AirTran , jetBlue, or Alaska, in terms of corporate culture and route structure.

Jimdandy said:
I could see F9 buying out AWA but not the other way around AWA is in really bad shape. They will be bankrupt by years end possibly.

Wow Jimdandy I better start looking for a job now. Our latest press release about our best March ever had BK written all over it.

As for someone buying AWA, you obviously never heard of TPG. They hold veto power shares at AWA, and it isn't likely that a buyer is going to be able to satisfy their needs in this economy.

As for debt. Yup, were loaded with it. This is why we aren't growing that much while Southwest, Jetblue, and Airtran are growing like crazy. Though it could be argued that the only reason Airtran is growing so fast is that they made committments for airplanes in better times and they have to take them. The good news for them is that they got a good deal on them but they are still having problems finding places to fly them.

During the ATA debacle, many banks offered us cash, so it isn't likely that we will be in BK court. Managment really has no reason to go into BK court as long as we can load up with more debt out of court. We don't have expensive contracts and pension plans that they want to bust.

lot of people ask me who they should fly on when they go somewhere out west. I give them a few carriers to think about. It's not that I don't mention Frontier, but I go out of my way to tell them to AVOID FRONTIER.

You must not have flown F9 lately. I commute on them frequently and I've always been fairly impressed with the operation. Inflight staff does a very nice job. Pax enjoy the TV's. The flight crews have always been friendly and courteous about extending the jumpseat privilege. I've never had a bad experience on F9. Never.

From reading your post all I can conclude is F9 either turned you down for a job or one of the F9 guys or gals stole your girlfriend. Lots of vitriol but no substance in your rants VABB.

Maybe this has been covered already, but is it true that the deal with Horizon at F9 is not going well? I have heard some chatter but nothing has been verified to me... Did F9 want to reduce its use of CR7s?

From what's been published in the press it sounds like Horizon's revenue per ASM is down on account of the F9 codeshare which would lead me to believe that if anything Horizon might want out. Horizon is a quality provider of 70 seat feed so I think F9 might not want to lose their services.

Of the 11 million lost in the last quarter, 3 million (or roughly 27%) came from Express. Given they only do about 18% of our flying, one would imagine the 'why' is being looked at closely.
Horizon is a quality provider, but it must be utilized properly to profit both companies. Filling the caps to established cities only serves to undermine the customer who expects a big plane with TV and food.
Opening new cities and growing the customer base to support larger planes, is one way everyone will come out ahead.

Last edited:
I truly love Horizon, their product and their pilots! They are a class act. I just think, in general, the CRJ is an expensive airplane.

Cya

On Your Six said:
Maybe this has been covered already, but is it true that the deal with Horizon at F9 is not going well? I have heard some chatter but nothing has been verified to me... Did F9 want to reduce its use of CR7s?

Things are going great from all indications at Horizon.

No. I was told by a senior management person here at Horizon that we tried to get one of our RJ's back from the Frontier side because their utilization was at the minimum specified by the contract. However, Frontier said NO!

Dave Benjamin said:
From what's been published in the press it sounds like Horizon's revenue per ASM is down on account of the F9 codeshare which would lead me to believe that if anything Horizon might want out. Horizon is a quality provider of 70 seat feed so I think F9 might not want to lose their services.

Horizon's revenue per ASM is down due to the much longer stage lengths F9 is using our RJ's vs. what Horizon was using them previously. We love the agreement becuase we make a profit in pimping ouselves to F9. They may lose money but that is no concern to Horizon. It is guaranteed revenue. Tust me, the air group loves guaranteed revenue. That's why you don't see Alaska Air Group expand very fast. They are one of the most fiscally conservative companys there is.

Furthermore, we can only get out under certain stipulations in the contract.

Filled out an APP...but

I filled out an app with Frontier and am excited about their operation. Of course when I went to sent my online app I was left stuck because I needed a name of a Pilot, or employee there with their email address to push on any further. Anybody nice enough to give those golden nuggets out. I wish I new the pilots name on the list to see if maybe I actually do know something from F9. For now I have to hope a Frontier Pilot will jump on my flight so I can talk to him....Thanks for any info from F9 pilots....

PCE

Latest resources

Back