• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Avanti Missing an Elevator?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/ntsb-investigates-missing-avantair-p180-elevator-375104/

Please tell me this is a case of poor journalism. I can't see how a crew would lose an elevator after takeoff, fly to another airport, land, then fly it again.

They didn't lose an elevator and fly to another airport. They discovered it in HND during their post-flight walkaround. The entire fleet was subsequently inspected.

Beyond that, I can't comment. I might get a phone call just for posting this. I just want to make it clear that the aircraft was not flown immediately following the event.

They didn't lose an elevator and fly to another airport.

According to the NTSB report, they ferried from CMA to SAN, then took passengers to HND where they discovered the missing elevator.

The elevator was found by airport personnel in CMA, not SAN.

In any case, glad everybody got on the ground safely.

I'm pretty impressed that it still flew normal! Besides the extra elevator input required in the flare... Was it one of the front canard ones or one on the tail? Glad no one was hurt!!!

What!!!???

Just what kind of glue are those EYE tallions using to hold them pieces together anyways? Glad everyone came away unscathed. Good thing they have that spare elevator up front.

Whatsamatta fah you?

It's not an elevator. Those aren't considered canards either for that matter.
Whiskers? Flippers? Curb feelers? We must know......!

Curb feelers sounds good to me but they say it's simply a "lifting surface" since the aircraft has a conventional horizontal stabalizer with elevators. The flaps on the forward wing move in conjunction with the main wing flaps to ease pitch forces with flap deployment.

Latest resources

Back