ATTENTION Furloughe ALPA Members

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
wndshr said:
man....you guys want B6 to join a union...this is what a union does for ya?

whats for dinner at the legacies? THEIR YOUNG!

Duane worthless makes how much?

This is a pretty important issue, lets not turn this into a jetblue vs. anyone else thread.

Why are Canadian pilots able to partake in the survey (rhetorical question). ALPA is playing a risky game. It's a survey, ALPA should want to hear from all of it's members furloughed or not (if they are serious about wanting to know what the members want, which I am starting to doubt.) It will be hard to trust them again. I'll tell ya what ALPA, let me participate in the survey (ALPA member for 10 years) and you can keep the crappy magazine.

Last edited:
Goose17 said:
In no way is it fair to change the rules during the "game". The guys that moved up due to the age 60 rule and are now at the top want to park there and reap the rewards.

I am not in favor of the change, but the ONLY way I could remotely support it would be to phase it in slowly over time so no one group would have a huge benefit. I.E. add 3-4 months to the mandatory retirement age every year until you reach your target retirement age. Just a thought.

Next, management will be lobbying for reduced pension if you retire before the new age.

So where was all this age change clammoring when airlines were having trouble in the past?

Goose17

The age 60 rule doesn't affect me right now, and I hope to not have to work past 60, but I would like the option to work if needed. But I do agree with Goose17 that changing it now would not be fair to anyone. I think that it should not be changed until all furloughed pilots have been recalled. That way you stagnate the pool of pilots currently flying by stopping retirements for 2-5 years. However once all furloughed pilots have been recalled, then the game is done and you can change the rules. Yes, it may stagnate upgrades and increase time on reserve at some airlines, but at least everyone has a job vs delaying recalls.

FNG

"Wait until the furloughed are recalled." That makes a hell of a lot of sense. It will take at least 5 years to get all ALPA members recalled. I submit that there will be more coming in addition to those whose carriers are TU. In the mean time, those that are 55 or greater will have to whore at Walmart because their pensions disappeared. You have compassion for the furloughed, but where's the compassion for those that will have nothing at 60?

BTW, furloughed members should have been allowed to vote, but it should have been noted in the final results. They obviously would vote against it.

If the furloughed ALPA pilots get to vote then the retired ALPA pilots should get to vote as well.

Apprentice members apparently can't do the survey either. And I'm on my fifth cumulative year as an ALPA member.

PurpleTail said:
Why do I get the feeling that ALPA National already has a side or an opinion on the Age 60 subject and that they are doing this 'Survey' just to give pilots a warm and fuzzy???
As always, follow the trail of money to find the true politics behind all the Age 60 rhetoric. The real question is...If the airline industry wasn't in such financial shambles would we even be having this discussion?
Tail...You are right on the money...We need some kind of independent accounting firm to tabulate this survey. ALPA is takin us on a ride. I'd like to see the survey taken by someone else.

no surprise

did anyone really think that alpa gives a sh1t about furloughed pilots????? when you call your mec they will give you the "we care" sob story because it's job protection for them. alpa is a broken bureaucracy and only cares about the senior members. it's staffed by it's senior members. there are not any "new guys" elected to mec positions for this reason. we are all pawns and if you think it's any different you've been hitting the hookah too much. if alpa cared soo much then nwa would've not taken the raises and not have waited until the company was really hurting to agree to concessions.... i'm sure it's been the same at the other majors.... i hope alpa falls apart. if and when most of us get back i hope we take control and kick that piece o sh1t organization to the street....maybe then duane whoreless will have to take a pay cut.....wouldn't that be great.

tailhookah said:
did anyone really think that alpa gives a sh1t about furloughed pilots????? when you call your mec they will give you the "we care" sob story because it's job protection for them. alpa is a broken bureaucracy and only cares about the senior members. it's staffed by it's senior members. there are not any "new guys" elected to mec positions for this reason. we are all pawns and if you think it's any different you've been hitting the hookah too much. if alpa cared soo much then nwa would've not taken the raises and not have waited until the company was really hurting to agree to concessions.... i'm sure it's been the same at the other majors.... i hope alpa falls apart. if and when most of us get back i hope we take control and kick that piece o sh1t organization to the street....maybe then duane whoreless will have to take a pay cut.....wouldn't that be great.

You hit the nail on the head!
This is truly an embarressment and I for one am ashamed about ALPA's policy on this one! Wake up you morons at National in VA, this is only a poll not a vote!

I hear a lot of crying about the unfairness of it from the 55+ crowd. But none of them supports right of return for folks already forced out.

I admit this law is stupid and unfair; I propose we change it to "as long as you are medically qualified" but only for everyone turning 23 this year. Or even anyone who has never had a part 121 job.

How many of you have read the In Focus Age 60 information that ALPA has sent out. If you haven't read it and you want to get EDUKAYTED by all means do so. Of course you might think this is spin, so use it as an initial to do you own research.

If I step back and objectively look at why the Knucks are being asked, I'd would guess it is becuase they can fly past age 60 (yes/no?) and why not ask a group that is all ready operating in that realm? Or is it all just a big conspiracy theory combined with ALPA national super senior hidden agenda blah blah blah.....

The message boards and crewrooms are not fact sources. Get educated fellas....

If the airline industry wasn't in such financial shambles would we even be having this discussion?

But the airline idustry IS in shambles. Got to deal with reality.

I'm not for either position on Age60, but no one here is offering solutions. Just rhetoric with a little vitrol......

Or is the solution to leave it be. OK, but Age60 was opposed by ALPA until the Leagacy MECs carved out their DB around Age60. And now, the MEC's have painfully given DBs back. So what is a pilot to do when he hits 60 and has to wait until SS and medicade. It is a valid concern....

Anyone?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back