• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyingSig

Double Breasted _ _ _
ATTENTION Furloughed ALPA Members

Did you know that you are not allowed to voice your opinion on the Age 60 survey? No matter what your opinion (for or against the change), ALPA does not think you deserve a say in the direction of the policy. If this ticks you off as much as it does me....let your reps know.

If you are a furloughed Delta pilot and need the email address for any MEC or LEC rep, please PM me and I will forward it to you.

If you are furloughed from another carrier, will someone please post that they can provided email addresses for those MEC's and LEC's.

If you are an active pilot who does not like the fact that over 2000 ALPA pilots will not get a say in the direction of ALPA's age 60 policy (and don't believe that ALPA isn't doing this on purpose to tweak the numbers) please contact your reps and call Barbara in communications at ALPA national. Or email ALPA by using this link:
http://crewroom.alpa.org/Default.aspx?tabid=231

I've attached a sample letter to use as an example (change as it pertains to you):

Gentlemen,

I am a furloughed Delta Air Lines pilot seeking an answer as to why furloughees are not allowed to participate in ALPA’s age 60 survey. This is not an election dictated by bylaws. This is a gathering of information that affects every pilot’s career no matter where they fall on a seniority list. While I understand that this is not a local survey and national chooses who to allow access to it, the fact that I am excluded leaves me no alternative but to voice my opinion through you.

I urge you to seek equity and fairness by urging our leaders at Delta ALPA to convince National to allow the furloughed pilots voice to be heard in this matter – even if it means calling national yourself.

While there are people on both sides of the issue, all voices need to be heard when it comes to this policy.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

Last edited:
...I imagine it is because ALPA knows that there will be at least as many "strongly oppose" the change to age 60 law votes as there are guys currently on the street. Even if you wanted to work past 60 long term, in the short term it just keeps more guys on the street. I cannot see why a furloughed guy would support this, but then again there may be plenty of sides to the issue that I've overlooked or haven't considered.

This will be interesting. ALPA leadership is generally senior, most of the money comes from senior ranks, but I wonder what the real rank and file votes totals will be. Guess we'll know shortly...

AlbieF15 said:
...I imagine it is because ALPA knows that there will be at least as many "strongly oppose" the change to age 60 law votes as there are guys currently on the street. Even if you wanted to work past 60 long term, in the short term it just keeps more guys on the street. I cannot see why a furloughed guy would support this, but then again there may be plenty of sides to the issue that I've overlooked or haven't considered.

This will be interesting. ALPA leadership is generally senior, most of the money comes from senior ranks, but I wonder what the real rank and file votes totals will be. Guess we'll know shortly...

ALPA politics at it's best. Looks like another ALPA hosing coming down the pike here real soon. Sooner or later people will learn there are two very distinct groups within ALPA.

Those that have benefited from ALPA and those that have been..........well you get the picture.

Survey

I just did the ALPA Age 60 telephone survey a two nights ago. I "voted" NO for every question concerning the repeal......

Let's keep furloughed guys out of a job for an extra 2 -5+ yrs, yeah, what a great freakin proposal.....

Vote NO!

Why do I get the feeling that ALPA National already has a side or an opinion on the Age 60 subject and that they are doing this 'Survey' just to give pilots a warm and fuzzy???

I'll participate in the survey, voice my opinion, be proactive but for some reason I really don't think it will amount to much.

As always, follow the trail of money to find the true politics behind all the Age 60 rhetoric. The real question is...If the airline industry wasn't in such financial shambles would we even be having this discussion?

PurpleTail said:
Why do I get the feeling that ALPA National already has a side or an opinion on the Age 60 subject and that they are doing this 'Survey' just to give pilots a warm and fuzzy???

I'll participate in the survey, voice my opinion, be proactive but for some reason I really don't think it will amount to much.

As always, follow the trail of money to find the true politics behind all the Age 60 rhetoric. The real question is...If the airline industry wasn't in such financial shambles would we even be having this discussion?

Good points. I find it troublesome that ALPA is soliciting Canadian pilots to weigh in on the survey that pertains to an FAA rule. Thousands of furloughed ALPA pilots will not be able to voice their opinions (either for or against) but will be effected by the outcome. I think ALPA will use the Canadian numbers to help present their case for "ALPA in favor", knowing most furloughed pilots would be against the change.

NYR
Not a post arguing for or against a change, but pointing out ALPA's underlying motive.

not fair

In no way is it fair to change the rules during the "game". The guys that moved up due to the age 60 rule and are now at the top want to park there and reap the rewards.

I am not in favor of the change, but the ONLY way I could remotely support it would be to phase it in slowly over time so no one group would have a huge benefit. I.E. add 3-4 months to the mandatory retirement age every year until you reach your target retirement age. Just a thought.

Next, management will be lobbying for reduced pension if you retire before the new age.

So where was all this age change clammoring when airlines were having trouble in the past?

Goose17

I spoke to my MEC duty officer today to voice outrage at exluding the furloughed guys/gals. He said the inactive pilots are not allowed to vote. I pointed out that this is not a vote....it's a survey. I suggest everyone call thier MEC and tell them this is bullsh*t.

man....you guys want B6 to join a union...this is what a union does for ya?

whats for dinner at the legacies? THEIR YOUNG!

Duane worthless makes how much?

Latest resources

Back